Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help with camaro speaker replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with camaro speaker replacement

i am completely stuck i have removed the camaro door speakers only to find the dam thing has 4 wires coming out of it what speakers do i need to buy to replace it and how do i wire them in i currently have a pair of 6.5 inch coaxial speakers from in phase and they only have connection points for two wires also things are made harder because i unfortunately live the uk. thanks in advance
Old 10-17-2012, 02:53 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The factory Camaro door speakers look like coaxials but they are actually component sets with the tweeter mounted in the middle of the woofer. That's why there are two pairs of wires. The best way to replace them is to find a set of coaxial mounted component speakers so that they match the factory configuration. CDT makes a popular set but I don't know if our sponsors Kee Audio or Double D Mods will ship overseas. You could ask them or you could check around to see if there is a CDT distributor closer to you.

A less desirable but workable option is to modify a pair of ordinary coaxial speakers to mimic a component set. Depending on the speaker, you can cut the leads that go from the speaker terminals to the tweeter and wire them separately. It works well with some brands of coaxial speakers, with others not so much. It really depends on how accessible the tweeter leads are for cutting and soldering.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You want a component type speaker with separate leads for the tweeter and woofer, but in a Camaro you need the tweeter to be co-axially mounted (not to be confused with a "coaxial" 2 way speaker). Component sets like this are sometimes called "convertible".

Not too many companies make convertible components... MB Quart, CDT, Cerwin-Vega, Powerbass, maybe Rainbow...

Not trying to steer you around but the CDTs are nice and go right in, with good reviews all over this forum.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...selection.html

Be sure to read the FAQ.

Edit: Damn WB beat me to it!
Old 10-18-2012, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the tips guy's i am going to look for the suggested audio speakers this has been an expensive lesson as in my rage i have also bought a set of component speakers will probably have to ebay them now
Old 10-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Just replaced my speakers in my 99 Camaro SS. Purchased from Amazon, pair of Infinity Ref 40323cf 4in 2-way 2 ohm for $60 in rear hatch, pair Kicker 6.5 CompVT mib sub 2 ohm $150 in sail panels, pair of Infinity Ref 6030cs 6.5 Componet System 2 ohm for $83 in doors and cut the tweets in the door panel. The sound is awsome! Went real smooth if you need help I can write up process.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

I agree with the comments above that finding a dual 6.5" speaker replacement for the door is not easy. Check out Sony. I blew a factory door speaker tweeter and replaced the door speakers with Sonys. These have the separate terminals for the mid-bass and the tweeters with capability to wire the four wires to the door speakers to four separate terminals on the speakers. These are very reasonably priced, mount right up to the stock mounting speaker plate and can handle the factory amp power. I think they sound great for the price. Am not sure about the model number but think it is Sony XS-GTX1642. When I get home this evening, I will check the number and correct this post if the number is different.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2012, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

Correction: the Sony speakers I bought are the XS-GTR 1720. These are 6 3/4" and may have been discontinued by some vendors but do some checking around as I suspect these may still be available online somewhere.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: Help with camaro speaker replacement