Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Rockford 6 1/2" subs vs JL 6 1/2" subs

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 01:20 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rockford 6 1/2" subs vs JL 6 1/2" subs

Ok so now that my alpine component set is in the mail i've decided to also upgrade the factory 6 1/2" subs in the sail panels and i've narrowed my choices to either the rockford fosgate RFP4806 - Punch HE 6-1/2" Subwoofer 8ohm or a Jl 6W0 6-1/2" 4ohm. The rockford fosgates rms at 150 watts while the Jl's rms at 75 watts. I have an MTX amp that puts out 340watts X 1 @ 4 ohms which i would run to the RF's bridged. Or i would run the amp at 85watts X 2 to the JL's running in stereo. So i guess my question would be, are the JL's so much better that they will still sound better than the Rockfords with such little power going to them? I'm currently using the amp to power two bazooka 10's running stereo 85 X 2 and they absolutely pound so i know the amp can put out some thump. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to see what you guys thought.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:47 AM
TECH Resident

i dont know for sure but ive heard the jl's are infinite baffle (wont work in free air) or something but they cant be run in the sail panel unless you seal it off. of course if this is a lie im sure as soon as someone knowledgeable sees this theyll correct it but i read that somewhere.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Well i wish i knew what "infinite-baffle" meant, becuase on JL's website it says, "It is not intended as an infinite-baffle speaker." http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/6w0.html
Old 04-12-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Frontman
Well i wish i knew what "infinite-baffle" meant, becuase on JL's website it says, "It is not intended as an infinite-baffle speaker." http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/6w0.html
Infinite baffle means in plan terms it does not require a sealed enclosure to work properly it can just be mounted to a level surface such as the sail panel speakers. They have very low output though because the sub has so very little control and are more suseptiable to blow. Reason why everybody blows their stock sail panel speakers.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can run a non-infinite baffle speaker in the sail panels if you get foam speaker baffles to install behind the speaker.
Crutchfield sells them.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pW9rQva...&avf=N&search=
Old 04-14-2004, 03:15 PM
Teching In

I did a full system overhaul in my '02. I took out the Head Unit and put in the Rockford RAVDVD1, replaced all the side panel speakers with Rockford FNX2514. I left the rear ones alone. I am driving these speakers with a 551X Rockford AMP and have my 851X driving (2) 10" RFP3210 subs. My system sounds excellent, you can really feel the bass even at low volume. I currently changed out my head unit because I wanted to move one of my two 7" screens out of the glove compartment and bought the Kenwood KVT-715DVD. I made the move because of all the options you can add to the Kenwood. Now the only draw back was, sound quality. The headunit really makes a big difference in the sound. I am having to tweaking my gain on the amps to get the sound back in my system, it's almost there. Maybe sometime down the road I will get the new RAVDVD2 that comes with a screen. Not that this may answer your question, but just to let you know that the head unit also adds to the sound you can get from speakers.
Old 04-14-2004, 05:00 PM
Launching!

Well this is my new plan. Rather than custom fabricate a fiberglass enclosure to fit inside the sail panels ($200, i checked) i'm going to put a nice pair of 6 1/2" midrange speakers in the sails. I'm now going to power my 6 1/2" alpines 171A's upfront with my mtx amp at 85watts a piece, and power the tweeters w/ the stock deck. I'm just gonna throw out the speakers in the hatch, since they are just a waste of power. I'm gonna have to rewire the 6 1/2's differently in the sails to accept high's as well as lows which i'm not really sure how to do. I'll probably just have the audio store do that. I've pretty much said screw the 6 1/2" woofers and i'll just wait to get my 2 image dynamic 10's in the back and power them with about 300 watts each from an mtx amp. Sound good?
Old 04-14-2004, 07:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Frontman
Well this is my new plan. Rather than custom fabricate a fiberglass enclosure to fit inside the sail panels ($200, i checked) i'm going to put a nice pair of 6 1/2" midrange speakers in the sails. I'm now going to power my 6 1/2" alpines 171A's upfront with my mtx amp at 85watts a piece, and power the tweeters w/ the stock deck. I'm just gonna throw out the speakers in the hatch, since they are just a waste of power. I'm gonna have to rewire the 6 1/2's differently in the sails to accept high's as well as lows which i'm not really sure how to do. I'll probably just have the audio store do that. I've pretty much said screw the 6 1/2" woofers and i'll just wait to get my 2 image dynamic 10's in the back and power them with about 300 watts each from an mtx amp. Sound good?
I wouldnt power the tweeters off the deck seperatly since your crossovers arent biampable. Your gonna get a full range signal to your tweeter and your gonna blow them. Also the gain will have to be turned down so low on your amp to not have your mids over power your tweeters that your going to negate the reason for biamping them.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:16 AM
Launching!

well then how should i power the component set?
Old 04-16-2004, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Cool

Why go to all the trouble of wiring your system up and then doing it again when you get your subs? I would run the component sets off your MTX amp and the subs off the other amp. Check out Q Logic for a very nice amp rack that should fit your amps nicely. It will also help in hiding most if the wires. All I kept in the back were a set of tiny tweeters, your right there is not much use in anything back there anyway.

Wish me luck today guys, it's the company sound off here and it's my first time with my camaro. Check it out on Sound Domain...... let me know what you guys all think...
http://www.sounddomain.com/memberpage/553223

I got 4:1 odds this morning and I think I am in the first group. Did a test last night on the sound system, pissed off a neighbor, gee it was only 11!

thanks!
Old 04-20-2004, 02:52 PM
On The Tree

I have the JL 6 1/2's in my sail panels with nothing behind them right now, and they sound just fine.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:04 PM
Launching!

I've already made up my mind. The alpine component set is done up front. I'll be running infinity 6 1/2's in the sail panels and power them all with an mtx 684 amp. I'm going to get 2 10's in the future so i don't need the base from the 6 1/2" woofers.
Old 07-06-2004, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
You can run a non-infinite baffle speaker in the sail panels if you get foam speaker baffles to install behind the speaker.
Crutchfield sells them.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-pW9rQva...&avf=N&search=

Will this work with the JL 6W0? It does need some type of enclosure so will these work?

Fry
Old 07-06-2004, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

The airspace in the foam XTC baffle isn't enough for that (or any) woofer. I'tll work, but probably sound like booty. For bass, your best bet is a single 8"-12" in a box in the driver's side cubby storage area. The shape of the hatch gives you amazing gain at low frequencies. Ppl swear i've got 15"s, when i've got a single 12".