Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Someone please explain the OE alarm

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Someone please explain the OE alarm

I have a 2000 camaro and i do not understand the security at all. I do not have an owners manual. Why does the security light come on while i am driving? Why sometimes it won't let me start the car and i have to wait. What is the process to disarm it after its triggered?
Old 04-15-2004, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ come on half the people on here have f-bods
Old 04-15-2004, 07:44 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Which security light are you refering to? There is a yellow light in the gauges that says "Security" and there is also a red LED on top of the dash next to the defroster vent that is for the factory alarm system.

The yellow "Security" light is for indicating problems with the PASS II vehicle theft system. Usually it means there is a problem reding the resistor in your ignition key. Clean the key contacts first or use another key to see if the problem goes away. If not, take your car to the dealer to be checked because one day it will fail to start.

The red LED is for the content theft system - what you might call an alarm system. It should never flash while the car is running.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah, its the yellow light in the dash. I will check my keys and see if that is what it is.