Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

* 01 firebird* Need Help choosing sounds- speakers and head unit (monsoon)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 10:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default * 01 firebird* Need Help choosing sounds- speakers and head unit (monsoon)

I am a total audio newb, and would like some help deciding on what speakers to choose as replacements as well as some help choosing a new head unit.

I have read the monsoon faq, but I did not understand alot of the terminology or specs mentioned.

I have an 01 firebird with the monsoon audio, completely stock.

Currently, one of the sail panel speakers is broken.

Should I replace just the sails with either of these...
1)http://www.keeaudio.com/bazooka.html
2)http://shop.doubledmods.com/WF6415DV...-bazooka65.htm

or .. should i replace all of the speakers at once with either of these

1)http://www.keeaudio.com/fbodyspeakers.html ($289)
2)http://shop.doubledmods.com/Gen-4-Speaker-Package-8-gen4PKG8.htm($259)

of the previous two packages, are there major differences in the brands of the speakers. The package on double mods has no specs. Which is the better deal? Kee or Dd?

Also, if I plan to replace my head unit sometime down the line with a double din head unit, are there specific specs that i should look for? Am i limited to a certain wattage or anything? or should I just get the one i like that is in my price range?

The cheapest bezel i have found for a double din has been around $100... Is there anywhere they could be had cheaper, or is that normal pricing.

Again, I am a total newb to understanding audio specs, etc.

Any other tips or help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:23 AM
Teching In

http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PLPW6D/...-Ohm-Subwoofer

Would these work for the sail panels?

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 12-17-2012 at 07:17 AM. Reason: replaced non-sponsor link
Old 12-16-2012, 04:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by eddieY87
http://www.pyleaudio.com/sku/PLPW6D/...-Ohm-Subwoofer

Would these work for the sail panels?
you get wut you pay for. just a heads up wit this kinda stuff

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 12-17-2012 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Both vendors are reputable and know what they are doing. Generally their pricing is within 5-10% of any other reputable online dealer and usually they will price match if you contact them, and you get the benefit of dealing with people that already thoroughly understand the Monsoon system you are dealing with.

As far as a new HU, it's just a matter of you defining what features you want. DVD, Nav, Ipod, BT, pre-outs... how much do you want to spend? It's like you're in the internal engine forum and asking for a "good" cam. Good for what?

One general word of advice I will offer, if you intend to use the Monsoon amp to drive your speakers, look for higher sensitivity and don't use the external crossovers that come with your new door speakers (as discussed in a hundred other threads).

I know you read the FAQ, which is an excellent start, but you kind of need to define what you want out of this and your price range. Or, just start with replacing your sail panels, get comfortable with what you're doing, and work your way up from there.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Appreciate the response.

As far as the speakers go, I would be satisfied with replacing the broken sails at the moment.

However, if the rest of the speakers are likely to fail soon as well, It would be in my best interest to replace them all at once now and save money on the package deal.

Are the door speakers and rear hatchspeakers just as bad as the sails?

Would you advise to do them all now, or just the sails? (based on your experience with the rest of the speakers.)

Originally Posted by Capricio
One general word of advice I will offer, if you intend to use the Monsoon amp to drive your speakers, look for higher sensitivity and don't use the external crossovers that come with your new door speakers (as discussed in a hundred other threads).
Sorry but I don't exactly follow here regarding the door speakers. So if i do replace them, exactly what should i not do? Are the external crossovers the wiring that comes with them? What should I use instead? Pardon my newb, i really do appreciate the help.

As far as a new HU, it's just a matter of you defining what features you want. DVD, Nav, Ipod, BT, pre-outs... how much do you want to spend? It's like you're in the internal engine forum and asking for a "good" cam. Good for what?
I was mainly unsure as to whether I should look for certain specs on the HU that were limited to the monsoon capacities. But i believe you are telling me that any would work as far as "specs" go. Thanks

The main thing that i want is double din and I would like to play music through my android.

These are a couple I was looking at...

(non-sponsor links removed)

I do know i would have to get a new bezel and all of the necessary wiring as well.

Finally, would the sail panel speakers i posted in post #2 from ebay qualify as replacements as far as their specs go? I know they are no-brand, but do they match the specs?

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 12-17-2012 at 07:22 AM. Reason: non-sponsor links removed
Old 12-17-2012, 07:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

While those Pyle subs do meet the specs required for use in the sail panels, they do not meet even minimal requirements for quality. Pyle product are generally referred to as "Pyle of crap". I'm not sure if WalMart even carries them now - they seem to be relegated to dollar store stock.

If you were selling your car and just needed something that works, they could be a good choice. But if you plan to keep your car and listen to them yourself, you should probably look at a different brand.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
While those Pyle subs do meet the specs required for use in the sail panels, they do not meet even minimal requirements for quality. Pyle product are generally referred to as "Pyle of crap". I'm not sure if WalMart even carries them now - they seem to be relegated to dollar store stock.

If you were selling your car and just needed something that works, they could be a good choice. But if you plan to keep your car and listen to them yourself, you should probably look at a different brand.
Dollar store stock? Holy crap lol
I figured it was too good to be true.

I'll probably just get the bazooka ones off of ddmods for 90 bucks

Thank you for the reply
Old 12-17-2012, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As far as HUs go, this is as good as anything you will find for the money. It is the same package that I put in my own car.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-249-99-a.html
Old 12-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Teching In

As far as HUs go, this is as good as anything you will find for the money. It is the same package that I put in my own car.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-249-99-a.html
That looks like a good deal.

Thank you

Quick Reply: * 01 firebird* Need Help choosing sounds- speakers and head unit (monsoon)