Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Headlight & foglight bulbs, need recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 04:59 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Headlight & foglight bulbs, need recommendations.

Im looking for a bulb that is a lot brighter, clearer, and has a slight blue tint to it. Not too much, but noticable. A friend of mine bought some for his truck from Target, I believe theyre some type of Xenon bulb. (cant remember the name, manufacturer, etc.) He got them really cheap though. (under $20 I think) They look good on his truck. I can be like a 1/4 of a mile from him in heavy traffic and still he stands out. His almost look like the lights that are put on the BMWs, Lexus, etc. They are a bright light that have a blue tint to them. However, here is my thing though, I dont want to spend too much money on bulbs. I looked around in a few sponsors sites, and the only ones I came across are the PIAA which are like 70 bucks! Im thinking no more than $30 unless theyre really good. Anyhow, I put one of his bulbs in my car and it made my stock ones look like they were yellow! LOL Anyhow, what do you guys recommend? Also, the bulbs in the stock foglights are 894s. Do they make bulbs like Im wanting in that number? Thanks a lot.
Old 04-20-2004, 05:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about the foglights. For the headlights, I've got Sylvania Silverstars. They're very white and a lot brighter than stock. The bulbs that produce blue light look cheap and ricey IMO. Silverstars are $20 a piece. They produce light a lot closer to the gas discharge systems than the Xenon imitations.
Old 04-21-2004, 01:57 AM
Launching!

Try this link. The bulbs are very reasonable.
Camaro, TA's & Formula Bulbs
Old 04-21-2004, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pedaltothemetal
Try this link. The bulbs are very reasonable.
Camaro, TA's & Formula Bulbs
its missing the headlights for a trans Am
Old 04-21-2004, 02:58 PM
9 Second Club NA

Jake99SS: Im not looking for bulbs that shine completely blue, Im looking for ones that simulate HID lights or the lights that come on the Beamers, Mercedez, etc. As I said before, Im kinda looking for the ones that my friend has on his truck. Theyre really clear, bright, and have a slight blue tint to them. They really stand out in heavy traffic. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 04-21-2004, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jake99SS
Not sure about the foglights. For the headlights, I've got Sylvania Silverstars. They're very white and a lot brighter than stock. The bulbs that produce blue light look cheap and ricey IMO. Silverstars are $20 a piece. They produce light a lot closer to the gas discharge systems than the Xenon imitations.
The silverstars are the brightest bulbs for the money that we have found.
You can buy a pair for the low beams only and see how you like them. I'll tell you right now you will be back for the high beams.
Alan
Old 04-21-2004, 04:44 PM
9 Second Club NA

Do they make those same bulbs for the foglights? (894) Whats the manufacturer? Its really not about the brightness that Im all too worried about, its the clarity and the slight blue tint. I dont drive the car much on the road, I just like the way they look. Basically, Im just looking for something to spend money on and bring out the car just a tad more. But on a serious note, they look 10 times better than my stock ones. As I said earlier, it made mine look yellow.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:46 PM
9 Second Club NA

Did a google search and found out the Silverstars are made by Slyvania. I did see the part number 893, how does that one differ from the 894? Lastly, those using these, do they have a slight blue tint to them?
Old 04-21-2004, 04:51 PM
Teching In

I dont know if the 893/894 are the same. HOwever I do use the SIlver Star's for my high and low beams. They are the best I have found so far, and there is a SLIGHT Blue tint to them.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:59 PM
9 Second Club NA

Sorry, but I hate to stress the slight blue tint issue, but you say that there is, but is it noticable or do you really have to try and see it? I guess to make this easier for me and for those trying to help me out, lemme give you an example...whenever youre driving at night and you look over at the oncoming traffic and you see all the same color lights, but then theres that pair of lights that catches your eyes. Theyre brighter, clearer, and have that blue tint to them. Well like always, when that car gets closer and closer, enough for you to see what it is, you discover that its a Lexus, BMW, Mercedez, etc. just like you thought it would be. For some reason, all those cars have those unique lights, that stand out from all. Thats what Im looking for. Ill try and see if I can get my buddy to swing by, let me put one of his bulbs in my car, take a dig. pic, and post it.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:03 PM
Teching In

Well all those cars are using HID (High Intesity Discharge) and as such the way the light exits the car and the temp its at makes it change color
Old 04-21-2004, 05:46 PM
9 Second Club NA

I know that they use a HID system, so I guess what Im looking for is a bulb that simulates it. Another issue that I have is finding a bulb for the foglight to match, otherwise theres no point in buying the headlights because I dont want to have 2 different lights.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:04 PM
Teching In

Silverstars are what you want then. They Simulate the HID look, have a slight blue tint when LOOKING at the light, however are not extremely blue, and produce a nice white light.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Trust me on this; you don't want blue lights. SilverStars are about as blue as you might want to go. I am no lighting engineer or an eye doctor, but as a 4th year medical student , Blue light is of such poor quality that eyes have trouble adjusting to it. If you were to shine a blue light straight into your eyes your pupils would not constrict...Imagine how the oncoming drivers will feel. And on wet roads the frequency of blue light completely reflects off of the wet pavement and you really don't illuminate the road at all. Silverstar's are a good choice in my opinion and they are street legal too. Buy a set; you won't be dissapointed. oh, and the 893 and 894s are interchangeable.
Old 04-21-2004, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ddelallata
oh, and the 893 and 894s are interchangeable.

How certain are you of this? If they are interchangeable, what is the differance between 893 and 894?
Old 04-22-2004, 05:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by FenixSS
How certain are you of this? If they are interchangeable, what is the differance between 893 and 894?

same wattage on both of these, same bulb size. The only difference is the male connector; one is angled at 90 degrees to the bulb and the other connector is parallel to the bulb. I have one of each on my 99 Z.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:58 PM
9 Second Club NA

I hear the Silverstars have a pearl look to it, is this true? If so, I definately dont want them because Ive seen that pearl look and it just looks shitty in my opinion.