Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help installing new speakers!! *pics provided*

Old 04-26-2013, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help installing new speakers!! *pics provided*

Im trying to install pioneer speakers in my 2002 camaro. I bought the speakers a while ago for another car, but i never put them in. So i figured id put them in this car instead.
Heres a picture of the speaker that is in it. Notice there are 2 sets of connecters soldered on.

Heres the speakers i have, they only have one part for the connector instead of two.

They also dont fit in the stock bracket, is there something i can do with that? Should i just fab up my own bracket?

What do i do? can i use these speakers? Do i have to get new ones that match the car?
Old 04-27-2013, 12:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, start by reading the Monsoon Sticky.

What you have here (assuming this is the front door) is one set of those wires go to the 6.5" and the other set of wires go to the tweeters that are mounted on the 6.5", you should be replacing them with COMPONENT speakers but you're trying to wire a a regular speaker there which is not what you want to do. again this is all covered in the monsoon sticky.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:43 AM
TECH Regular

You can use those but you'll have to leave the two wires for the highs (tweeters) disconnected and you'll only be connecting the full range wires. But again, check out the FAQ cuz all your answers will be there
Old 04-27-2013, 11:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
OK, start by reading the Monsoon Sticky.

What you have here (assuming this is the front door) is one set of those wires go to the 6.5" and the other set of wires go to the tweeters that are mounted on the 6.5", you should be replacing them with COMPONENT speakers but you're trying to wire a a regular speaker there which is not what you want to do. again this is all covered in the monsoon sticky.
Originally Posted by Avaric3
You can use those but you'll have to leave the two wires for the highs (tweeters) disconnected and you'll only be connecting the full range wires. But again, check out the FAQ cuz all your answers will be there
I didnt think the monsoon sticky covered the speakers... ill be sure to read through that. Thanks
Old 04-27-2013, 11:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay i read the sticky, and now i understand what the two sets of wires do, one is for the tweeter and one is for the mid. Now can i splice the two + wires together (tweeter and mid) and solder that to my new pioneer 3-way coaxial speaker? and do the same for the - wires? will that work?
Old 04-27-2013, 12:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by KingPin1094
Okay i read the sticky, and now i understand what the two sets of wires do, one is for the tweeter and one is for the mid. Now can i splice the two + wires together (tweeter and mid) and solder that to my new pioneer 3-way coaxial speaker? and do the same for the - wires? will that work?
NO, there was a post on here within the last day or two where someone tried that and sound it sounded all crackly and distorded, GET PROPER SPEAKERS OR DON'T TOUCH IT.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
NO, there was a post on here within the last day or two where someone tried that and sound it sounded all crackly and distorded, GET PROPER SPEAKERS OR DON'T TOUCH IT.
well said
Old 04-28-2013, 04:58 AM
TECH Regular

well said
lol if youre connecting coaxial speakers up front, then leavethe tweeter wires totally disconnected. those wires for the "mids" are actually a full range signal
Old 04-29-2013, 07:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Something that hasn't pointed out is that you're trying to install 5.25" speakers in locations designed for 6.5" - they're not going to fit well.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Something that hasn't pointed out is that you're trying to install 5.25" speakers in locations designed for 6.5" - they're not going to fit well.
Its not big deal to fab up my own mounting bracket to mount the speaker. I have some scrap metal laying around that i could do it with.
Old 04-29-2013, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Avaric3
lol if youre connecting coaxial speakers up front, then leavethe tweeter wires totally disconnected. those wires for the "mids" are actually a full range signal
so then i dont need to buy component speakers?
Old 04-29-2013, 03:42 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Its not big deal to fab up my own mounting bracket to mount the speaker. I have some scrap metal laying around that i could do it with.
Well, since they're only a $40 speaker, why not return them (or sell them on ebay) and get a set that actually fit and will give better sound (larger cone = richer sound).

so then i dont need to buy component speakers?
No, you don't need components but you are giving up half the available power and better sound (again) by using only one channel.

DO NOT connect both pairs of wires in the doors to the same terminals as this would the equivalent of bridging the amp and the Monsoon amp is not bridgeable. Electronics like amps have only so much smoke in them and once you let the smoke out, they won't work anymore.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, since they're only a $40 speaker, why not return them (or sell them on ebay) and get a set that actually fit and will give better sound (larger cone = richer sound).

No, you don't need components but you are giving up half the available power and better sound (again) by using only one channel.

DO NOT connect both pairs of wires in the doors to the same terminals as this would the equivalent of bridging the amp and the Monsoon amp is not bridgeable. Electronics like amps have only so much smoke in them and once you let the smoke out, they won't work anymore.
From what ive read these are recommended:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CL-61CV-2-CDT-AUDIO-6-5-2-WAY-CONVERTIBLE-COMPONENT-SPEAKERS-SYSTEM-/110768371025?pt=Car_Speakers&vxp=mtr&hash=item19ca4f3551
Yes?
Old 04-30-2013, 07:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, those are a good choice but our sponsor, Kee Audio, sells them for less and has a great reputation for customer service.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, those are a good choice but our sponsor, Kee Audio, sells them for less and has a great reputation for customer service.
I just found those using a quick google search.

http://www.keeaudio.com/id47.html

found their website
Old 05-14-2013, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay i got another problem here. I installed both my new door speakers, and i got my new aftermarket speaker wired up. I turned the key to the "on/run" position, and i get no power to the radio. Now right now the engine is out and thus the entire engine harness, but i believe the radio should work without it in there. What could be the issue?
Old 05-15-2013, 07:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Check the RADIO fuse (#17) first then the COURTESY fuse (#20) next. Test them with a fuse tester or multimeter or replace with a known good fuse... never rely on just a visual inspection.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Check the RADIO fuse (#17) first then the COURTESY fuse (#20) next. Test them with a fuse tester or multimeter or replace with a known good fuse... never rely on just a visual inspection.
I did not try those fuses, because i plugged in the monsoon radio, and it worked fine, so that must mean that when i connected the GM harness to my aftermarket harness there is a bad connection somewhere. right?
Old 05-15-2013, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I solved the problem, my constant power wire was not connected properly. i figured this out by using a voltmeter, and seeing that the car was providing juice, but the radio was not receiving it. I used a jumper to make my own "wire" and put it to the radio, and it came on. So i just had to tear my harness apart and reconnect the yellow wires.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help installing new speakers!! *pics provided*