Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Passenger side window switch rolls window up, but not down

Old 05-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Passenger side window switch rolls window up, but not down

2000 Camaro SS
A couple weird things happening with the windows/switches.
Both windows do roll up and down with good speed, no problem there.

1. The passenger side window switch will roll the passengers side window up, but not down

2. On the drivers side, the window switch that controls the passenger window will roll the passenger window down, but not up

3. The passenger side lock/unlock switch will lock the doors, but will not unlock them.

Otherwise everything else works, drivers side window is fine, can lock and unlock from the drivers side no problem.

I've been searching, so far I believe i might have a bad "express down module" located down by the gas pedal?

I have popped out both driver/passenger side switches and everything is connected properly.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The window express module has absolutely nothing to do with the passenger window or controls so that would not be the problem.

It actually sounds like the switches themselves are bad. You should use a multimeter to test the contacts for continuity when the switch is operated. For example, the passenger switch should have continuity between pins A and C as well as between pins B and D when pressed to the down position.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The window express module has absolutely nothing to do with the passenger window or controls so that would not be the problem.

It actually sounds like the switches themselves are bad. You should use a multimeter to test the contacts for continuity when the switch is operated. For example, the passenger switch should have continuity between pins A and C as well as between pins B and D when pressed to the down position.
Thanks for pointing that out about the express down module.
This is my 3rd LS1 camaro, but never had any window problems (besides for them being slow) so I'm a newb when it comes to window/lock systems.

I'll pull the passenger side switch and check the A/C and B/D pins with a DVOM.

Is it somewhat of a common issue for these switches to go bad?
Old 05-17-2013, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

My passenger window switch went bad similar to that. When I bought the replacement from the dealership I had to switch out the actual "button" piece that you press as the ones that came with it were too square for the cut out, just a heads up. I don't know if the TransAm and Camaro ones are different...
Old 05-27-2013, 11:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Whitebird00 covered it all.

I 'll also recommend to check for loose wires from the switches.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Bought some used switches from a member on here,

Replaced the passenger side switch .... didn't fix it.

Replaced the drivers side switch, bingo... both windows work great now.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

aint that a bitch lol I have this exact same problem right now. been living with it for now since ive been getting my turbo build bug free but now im turning my attentions back to minor nuisances.
So yeah, driver side switch can roll down the passenger side window but not roll it up while the passenger side switch can roll it up but not roll it down...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Passenger side window switch rolls window up, but not down