Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Changed headlight motor but still not working.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 04:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed headlight motor but still not working.

I checked all the fuses before I made the swap. Changed the passenger side headlight motor and it still doesn't come up and down. The lights do work, just no motor. What else should ai check short of digging out the whole harness. Any ideads?
Old 05-19-2013, 06:50 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Did you check the fuse in the junction box under the hood (one for each side)?
Old 05-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Did you check the fuse in the junction box under the hood (one for each side)?
I sure did. I even switched them to make sure.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Next step is to test the output of the headlamp door module. It has two connectors - the second connector is the output and has four wires colored light green, dark green, light blue and dark blue. The green wires are for the left side and the blue wires are for the right side. Use a test light or multimeter to check for power on the light blue wire when the headlights should be opening and power on the dark blue wire when they should be closing (i.e. have someone cycle the headlight switch while you check the wires).

If you don't get output power as expected, double check that there is input power on both orange wires in the other connector (they should both be hot at all times). If there is power in but not out, you can assume that the module is bad. If there is no power input then there is a break in the power wire between the fuse box and the module.

If you get output power as expected, repeat the same test at the headlight motor. If you get power as expected then the motor is bad (it is possible although unlikely for a new motor to be bad). If you get no power then the wiring between the module and the motor is broken someplace.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:57 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
If you get no power then the wiring between the module and the motor is broken someplace.
My bet that this is the classic problem we see with corrosion in the electrical connector. When the new motor goes on, the pins make contact with corrosion instead of the little bit of bare metal left on the receiving pins and the motor circuit is broken.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:59 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yup, that could be the case. I've got to learn not to assume people check these things when working on electrical problems.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:50 AM
TECH Apprentice

my new motor stopped working due to corrosion in the plug. I rewired the connection. I haven't had a problem since.

Quick Reply: Changed headlight motor but still not working.