Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Replace 8 chan Monsoon w/ 4 chan amp...ditch cmpnt spkrs for 4 coax OR use Xovers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace 8 chan Monsoon w/ 4 chan amp...ditch cmpnt spkrs for 4 coax OR use Xovers?

If you replace 8 chan Monsoon w/ 4 chan amp, should you ditch component speakers for 4 coaxials? OR use crossovers?

It seems I gradually upgraded the audio in my 02 Camaro in the wrong order... I replaced all the component speakers first with new components, then I installed a Kenwood ddx-790 head unit, now I want to upgrade the amp (because it's not turning off, and draining the battery)

Not too many suitable 8 channel amps out there... Should I replace the faulty monsoon with a quality 4 channel amp and:

... replace all 4 component speakers with 4 coaxials, or

...Keep the components and use crossovers to retain use of the tweters, or

... Any other suggestions?

EDIT: forgot to mention this is a convertible

Last edited by cyberleader; 05-31-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:56 AM
TECH Addict

Keep the components, atleast upfront anyway, just use the x-overs that came with the components and run the doors (tweeter and mid) off the front channels of the amp.

If you are running components in the hatch or sails then ditch the hatch speakers entirely and do a midbass woofer in the sails (like you're supposed to have there to begin with) and use the amps rear channels to power them with the amps LPF turned on for the rear.

running coaxials or components in the sails over powers the front doors and makes it sound like everything is coming from the sail panel right behind your head.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep components use crossover and a 4 ch amp
Old 05-31-2013, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

What is your speaker setup like now? It sounds to me like you have 2 pairs of components running off of the passive crossovers
Old 05-31-2013, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Avaric3
What is your speaker setup like now? It sounds to me like you have 2 pairs of components running off of the passive crossovers
Yes that's right. Sorry guys, forgot to mention this is a convertible camaro. So no sails I'm afraid. lol

I'd like to retain the factory wiring, not really interested in tearing the car apart
Old 05-31-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Despite being a convertible, I'd leave out te rear speakers all together and just run a set of components for the front off of the 4 channels. If your amp or headunit has the right crossovers you can run active or if they don't, then you can run them passive and bridge the amp channels to power them depending on power requirements

Quick Reply: Replace 8 chan Monsoon w/ 4 chan amp...ditch cmpnt spkrs for 4 coax OR use Xovers?