Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

no dash,or HAVC lights!!!please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default no dash,or HAVC lights!!!please help

so i did the led conversion on my car.everything went smooth and worked perfect till i decided to install led strip in the floor well..after installing them my HAVC,and cluster lights stop working..i tapped them into the mirror/map wires(the blue& white wire and solid white wire) .they work perfect.but after i installed them the HAVC AND CLUSTER(dash) lights went out.also tail lights went out replaced the fuse on those they're working.i checked all the fuses the DIMMER(5a) fuse was blow replaced tried again and saw smoke from the dimmer switch.replace those 3 times already.it did the same thing 3 times.blew a fuse and burned up the dimmer switch.i checked all my wire for short or loose wire,couldn't find anything wrong..radio works fine it is after market..windows,power-locks and all the accessory work fine.could be the BCM?i did alot of research on it but didn't get lucky.so please help me out.appreciate it!!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:00 PM
Launching!

anyone?
Old 06-06-2013, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your led strip. Sounds like bad wiring there
Old 06-09-2013, 10:46 PM
Launching!

i rechecked everything again didn't find anything wrong.ordered another dimmer switch couple of days ago should be in.this time i will try without connecting the led strips and see wht happens
Old 06-10-2013, 07:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It is possible that you need a new dimmer switch because of the earlier problem with it smoking. Electrical and electronic devices have only a limited amount of smoke and once you let all the smoke out they will stop working.

However, the dimmer switch was not the cause of your problem - it was a symptom. If you don't find and repair the dead short in your wiring, the new dimmer switch will release all its smoke as well. I would be willing to bet that the short is related to the LED strip so I recommend you disconnect it completely before installing the new switch. Then, if everything works properly, try installing the LED strip again - this time with a small inline fuse (1 or 2 amps) next to it. If the fuse blows you will know there's a problem with the LED strip without risking another dimmer switch.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Launching!

thanks WhiteBird00 ill try what you suggested.i was going to do it today but auto-zone screwed up my order so it wont be here til next week.ill post the result
Old 07-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Launching!

sorry for the late response.as truck driver i dont get alot of time to work on my car.but finally hunted down the problem.the power wire for the ash tray bulb was touching metal and shorting it out.idk wht the preview owners done with it was just lying out there.now everything works like it should.except the the radio doesn't shut off when turning off the car or opening the door.and the horn don't work.it keep blowing fuse.checked all wires it didn't see anything wrong.i wonder if something is wrong in the steering wheel it self.any suggestions??
Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The horn and the radio are two separate problems since they don't share any common wiring.

Does the radio turn off when the passenger's door is opened? It is not uncommon for the door switch to fail, causing problems with the radio and courtesy lights because the BCM can't determine when the driver's door is opened. Sometimes the door switch is just gummed up with road grime and a good cleaning will solve the problem.

Is it an aftermarket radio? We've had several cases of aftermarket radios being installed with the constant (battery) and ignition switched power wires reversed. The easiest way to recognize that is the clock will reset every time it's turned off.

The horn blowing its fuse is not a problem in the steering column or steering wheel. That's because the horn is a grounding circuit not a power circuit. If there was a problem with the horn switches or a short in the wiring to the steering column, the grounding wouldn't blow a fuse - it would cause the horn to blow constantly.

The problem must be a short in the power side of the circuit. If a new fuse blows immediately without pressing the horn button then the short is in the orange wire between the fuse and the horn relay. If the fuse only blows when you press the horn button then the short is in the dark green wire between the horn relay and the horns.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The horn and the radio are two separate problems since they don't share any common wiring.

Does the radio turn off when the passenger's door is opened? It is not uncommon for the door switch to fail, causing problems with the radio and courtesy lights because the BCM can't determine when the driver's door is opened. Sometimes the door switch is just gummed up with road grime and a good cleaning will solve the problem.

Is it an aftermarket radio? We've had several cases of aftermarket radios being installed with the constant (battery) and ignition switched power wires reversed. The easiest way to recognize that is the clock will reset every time it's turned off.

The horn blowing its fuse is not a problem in the steering column or steering wheel. That's because the horn is a grounding circuit not a power circuit. If there was a problem with the horn switches or a short in the wiring to the steering column, the grounding wouldn't blow a fuse - it would cause the horn to blow constantly.

The problem must be a short in the power side of the circuit. If a new fuse blows immediately without pressing the horn button then the short is in the orange wire between the fuse and the horn relay. If the fuse only blows when you press the horn button then the short is in the dark green wire between the horn relay and the horns.
i did not try with the passenger door open.but ill check out the switches.and the courtesy lights go on/off when opening/closing door.it is an aftermarket radio.and the clock does not reset everytime.but ill pull the radio out and check it anyways.
and the horn the fuse blows immediately when you put i in.ill check tht out also.but ill be gone tomorrow on the roads again, so wont get to diagnose all this for least a month.but ill post results when i do get chance. & thanks a lot for your help WhiteBird00

Quick Reply: no dash,or HAVC lights!!!please help