Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Wiring up 02 Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wiring up 02 Cluster

Wiring up a 02 Cluster in a 83z with an ls1 swap. Ive got basically everything pinned out where they should go except for a couple wires.

B1 BRN: Park Lamp Feed. What functions does it control when the headlights are on? Is it needed? Not sure what to wire it to?

B5 PPL/WHT: Fused Ignition Feed. From what I understand is hot in START position only, and turns off certain functions/indicators off during cranking. Only side effect will be lit indicators during cranking, but will turn off once running? Also not sure what to wire it to.

B9 GRY: Instrument Cluster Lamp Feed. Is this for the cluster backlight when the lights are on, or does it dim the cluster back light via the dimmer switch? Car has a 4th gen dash aswell so it'll have the headlight and dimmer switch wired up. That being said, I can tap into the GRY wire to the dimmer switch, or the GRY wire to the headlight switch?
Old 07-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

B1 comes from the parking light circuit from the headlight switch. Best I can determine, it is used to change the brightness of the vacuum fluorescent digits in the odometer when the lights are on. This is the same function as the brown wire at the radio.

B5 comes from the starter circuit. It is spliced into the starter relay coil power feed wire (same color) at the big connector C200 under the dash near the clutch pedal. I'm not sure what side effects you might get if it's not connected.

B9 provides the illumination and dimming of the instrument cluster. It comes from the gray wire at the IP DIMMER fuse in the dash fuse panel. You can't use the gray wire at the dimmer switch because it provides the on/off function for the courtesy lights when the dimmer is turned all the way up.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright cool. I got the headlight/dimmer switch all wired up, now I can finish up the cluster. Got the wiring figured out for B9, for B1 I can tap into the brown wire at the headlight switch correct?

Old 07-08-2013, 07:26 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Yes, the brown wire at the headlight switch is the parking light output which is powered whenever the parking lights or headlights are on.

Quick Reply: Wiring up 02 Cluster