Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

tearing out monsoon need speaker sizes

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tearing out monsoon need speaker sizes

I put in a new touch screen head unit and purchased a new wiring harness and just decided do away with the factory head unit, amp, wiring, speakers...

first off will the head unit be able to power speakers well enough on its own? or should i get a multi channel amp as well? not looking for killer sound, just a speaker blew on my factory stuff, and the factory amp isn't working anyhow im talking simple like lower middle of the line polks or rockford speakers to go all the way around...nothing fancy.

also most importantly, what size speakers do i need for each of the 6 speaker areas in the car. thanks
Travis
Old 04-28-2004, 02:01 PM
Teching In

6 3/4" in the doors and rear sail panels but most 6 1/2" will fit, 4" in the rear hatch area.

The power to the speakers is entirely up to you and what speakers you select. Most HU are overrated on the power numbers.
Old 04-28-2004, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

I get all my speakers and car audio from www.Crutchfield.com
You put in ur car make and year and they give you the size speakers and everything. Check it out
Old 04-28-2004, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks jaybirdws6 and ls1thunder, i checked out crutchfield and got allt he sizes. ls1thunder, im aware of the overrated power outputs. mine claims something like 40 watts x 4 channels...which my guess is rms would be ATLEAST half of that. and im looking for ok speakers, nothing fancy something in the range of 5-45 watts. perhaps a small 4 channel amp would help out?

but do i wire the front speakers to the head unit, then the 4inch in the rear hatch and the 6 3/4 in the rear seat area to the amp? just tryign to get an idea of how much i will be spending, can afford and am willing to spend on what i would call perhaps a slightly better than stock set up.

my HU is panasonic touch screen, do you think it would be in my best interest to purchase speakers that are panasonic as well, or would i be ok going with a different brand? i hear mixing and matching speakers though can spell trouble as each one has a different sound variance (sp).

ill have about 3 weeks to decide on what im gonna do as im waiting for some parts to get back from the paint shop and im waiting for the true duals to be redone a little (new hangers with rubber isolators and what have you), then its going in for complete service.
i appreciate your guys' help. take care
T