Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Please help! Needles on cluster are wrong

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 10:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Please help! Needles on cluster are wrong

Ok so I went to take out the ABS light bulb from the cluster. Just seconds after I removed the needles I forgot to take a picture of how they are.

Now when I turn on the car, the rpms idle at 3K, temp was at 210 (car was cold), fuel gauge is past full (i know its about 1/4 tank) and I think the volts was reading almost 18volts.

Is there anyway I can reset or "fiddle" with the needles to get them correctly? Any help I would greatly appreciate. Thanks
Old 08-01-2013, 07:22 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

A scan tool that reads the OBDII system will give you the numbers that you can calibrate to for some of the dials. Here's how I calibrated mine:

Tach: Best to use a OBDII scanner, but you can guestimate what it is at idle depending on your transmission.
Speedo: Get a portable GPS, put it in map mode, and compare the straight line speed to what the gauge reads. Stop the car, adjust, and then try again.
Fuel: Run the car until the red gauge light comes on and then put the needle just above "E" This should be your 2 gallon mark.
Temp: Get the engine up to temperature and put the gauge straight up.
Oil Press: Best to use a OBDII scanner, but somewhere close to straight up is an OK thing to start with.
Battery: Turn the car on and put the needle at 13.

Quick Reply: Please help! Needles on cluster are wrong