Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Stop Playing When Rolling

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My Monsoon Radio/CD Player works fine when the car is setting still, but as soon as the car starts rolling the Radio/CD player shuts off. When I come to a stop I can cut the radio on and it plays. I cannot cut the radio on when rolling. Everything else such as Power windows on the car works fine so this may not be BCM related? Car is 2002 SS Camaro

I believe this problem is related to the BCM afterall. The vehical speed sensor on transmission may also be at falt?

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 08-03-2013 at 05:13 PM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 08-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The Camaro version of the head unit has speed controlled volume. I wonder if that could be causing a problem. If so, it would be a faulty head unit unless your speedometer is doing whacky things (same VSS signal). You might try pulling the dark green/white VSS wire out of the white connector in back of the head unit to see if the problem goes away. You should be able to remove the wire and pin from the connector using a straightened paper clip to release the tab that holds the pin in the connector - that's better than just cutting the wire.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

The speedometer and everything else works good. I will try pulling the Green/White stripe wire like you said. If that dies not work i will bypass the BCM by wiring radio hot wire directly to fuse box (switched output power). The Green and White wire is routed thru the BCM before it connects to radio. I will let you know if that works in a couple of days. Thanks

Last edited by gollum; 08-04-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I don't know where you got the idea that the VSS signal goes through the BCM but it does not (unless you bought the car in Mexico or Central America). The only connection the radio has to the BCM is to get power through the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) circuit. That same circuit powers the windows so if the windows still work, the BCM is not the source of your problem.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The Camaro version of the head unit has speed controlled volume. I wonder if that could be causing a problem. If so, it would be a faulty head unit unless your speedometer is doing whacky things (same VSS signal). You might try pulling the dark green/white VSS wire out of the white connector in back of the head unit to see if the problem goes away. You should be able to remove the wire and pin from the connector using a straightened paper clip to release the tab that holds the pin in the connector - that's better than just cutting the wire.
You fixed it! Thank you verymuch for your help.

I followed your instructions without cutting wire. I also taped over exposed terminal after removing from connector. I was surprised at how easy it was to remove plastic panel and radio from dash.

I bet this is a common problem with the 2002 Chevy Camaro Monsoon.

We Ride...

Last edited by gollum; 08-07-2013 at 11:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Monsoon Stop Playing When Rolling