Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Which stock head unit am I looking for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which stock head unit am I looking for?

So I have a '98 T/A that had an aftermarket head unit in it when I bought it. While it may have been cool like 10 or 12 years ago, I really don't like it. I'm looking to switch it back to a stock unit so as to regain the steering wheel controls. I was hoping someone would know which unit I am looking for though, as I know that they came with either a CD or a cassette.

The only RPO codes I can identify that have to do with the radio are:

UK3- steering wheel controls
U75- power antenna radio

*This was a non WS6 T/A

Any help you can give me would be great, and if you have one of the head units I need for sale, let me know!
Old 08-11-2013, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

If it's just about gaining steering wheel controls, thats easy just find any aftermarket radio with a wired remote input and get the adapter, no reason to go back to the crappy sound of a stock HU just to get the steering wheel buttons to work.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
If it's just about gaining steering wheel controls, thats easy just find any aftermarket radio with a wired remote input and get the adapter, no reason to go back to the crappy sound of a stock HU just to get the steering wheel buttons to work.
could you give me an example of a HU and adapter setup that would work?

The other issue besides the steering wheel controls that I was looking to fix is the fact that the current HU that I have doesn't even come close to matching the stock instrument cluster lighting, and considering that it is a single cd unit with no AUX input, it doesn't have much going for it that would make it better than a stocker. If i had to guess, I'd say it was a cheap replacement for the original which may have broke. I doubt it was an "upgrade"

Last edited by JLFIII; 08-11-2013 at 06:44 PM.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Monsoon sound is not that bad..... and the 1.5 din opening sux with a 1 din radio accompanied with an adapter. I HATE that adapter look. I had a guy at work that was hell bent on how bad a stock HU sounded.... Until he heard mine. I am running stock HU with Infinity fronts (wired component style), Kicker subs in the panel, Kicker rears and an Infinity Bass Link in the spare tire hole. Sounds damn good.

Aftermarket does sound better, but Monsoon is not awful by any means

OP.... Check to see if you have a monsoon amp back where your spare tire is located. If not, then I would have to say get a new aftermarket HU.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 08-12-2013 at 07:34 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 08-11-2013, 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blownbayou
OP.... Check to see if you have a monsoon amp back where your spare tire is located. If not, then I would have to say get a new aftermarket HU.
Although I wasn't specifically looking for it, when I last looked in the spare tire area, there was no amp back there...if I went with another aftermarket, what setup could I go with that would work with the steering wheel controls?
Old 08-11-2013, 09:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

The Monsoon amp near the spare is pretty well hidden. Here is a photo to make sure you don't have it.
If you want to go with a stock CD head unit, I would recommend getting a 2000 or newer one because only those can support the external CD changer in case you wanted to add it. I dumped my 98 head unit for a late 99 to get that capability. I think it was part number 09380122
Attached Thumbnails Which stock head unit am I looking for?-monsoon-amp-location.jpg  
Old 08-11-2013, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you need an adapter to make the steering wheel controls work with an aftermarket headunit. They cost around 70 dollars, and theyll fit with most aftermarket headunits. I switched my stock monsoon for a pioneer headunit. I like it a lot because it charges my iphone and i can control it through either the iphone or the car. If you decide to go back to stock, ive got my monsoon for sale in the classifieds. If you listen to music though, id go for an aftermarket. Theyre easy to install too.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GaryDoug
The Monsoon amp near the spare is pretty well hidden. Here is a photo to make sure you don't have it.
If you want to go with a stock CD head unit, I would recommend getting a 2000 or newer one because only those can support the external CD changer in case you wanted to add it. I dumped my 98 head unit for a late 99 to get that capability. I think it was part number 09380122
thanks for the detail pic, I'm going to check on this in the morning.

Originally Posted by Zlow28
you need an adapter to make the steering wheel controls work with an aftermarket headunit. They cost around 70 dollars, and theyll fit with most aftermarket headunits. I switched my stock monsoon for a pioneer headunit. I like it a lot because it charges my iphone and i can control it through either the iphone or the car. If you decide to go back to stock, ive got my monsoon for sale in the classifieds. If you listen to music though, id go for an aftermarket. Theyre easy to install too.
I'm going to explore my options at the local stereo shop tomorrow, if I go the stock route i'll pm you about the HU
Old 08-12-2013, 02:34 AM
TECH Addict

what I've found on here says you need a Metra ASWC (which is the steering control adapter) and ANY aftermarket headunit that has a wired remote input (which is virtually any aftermarket these days, except maybe the very bottom end stuff. the Metra ASWC runs around 50 bucks on amazon and you could probably find a decent HU with Aux input and other features in the 100-200 range fairly easily depending on what features are important to you.

a stock HU would probably be cheaper but you would still be left without an aux in (unless the one you got was one of the models that could be "hacked" to add an aux in).
Old 08-12-2013, 03:24 AM
On The Tree

what I've found on here says you need a Metra ASWC (which is the steering control adapter) and ANY aftermarket headunit that has a wired remote input (which is virtually any aftermarket these days, except maybe the very bottom end stuff. the Metra ASWC runs around 50 bucks on amazon and you could probably find a decent HU with Aux input and other features in the 100-200 range fairly easily depending on what features are important to you.

a stock HU would probably be cheaper but you would still be left without an aux in (unless the one you got was one of the models that could be "hacked" to add an aux in).
Great info, I just checked it out on amazon and it seems to have worked for most people...now my next question is how does an adapter like this work? I would assume it runs inline between the steering wheel controls and the HU, this way the controls will once again have power and light up again etc?

(sorry for all the questions lol, I'm a noob with stereo stuff)
Old 08-12-2013, 07:43 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Your steering wheel controls will have power and illumination regardless of whether they are connected to the radio. If they don't, first check the two fuses marked STG WHL CNTRL. Both are 1-amp fuses - #3 is the control power and #13 is the illumination.

It's really easy to determine if your car came with Monsoon - just look for speakers in the hatch area... the base audio system didn't include any speakers in the hatch. You can also check your door label for code W54 or W55 to determine if the car had a Monsoon system (W54 is cassette, W55 is CD). But you should still check for the amp because a previous owner may have removed it.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JLFIII
could you give me an example of a HU and adapter setup that would work?

The other issue besides the steering wheel controls that I was looking to fix is the fact that the current HU that I have doesn't even come close to matching the stock instrument cluster lighting, and considering that it is a single cd unit with no AUX input, it doesn't have much going for it that would make it better than a stocker. If i had to guess, I'd say it was a cheap replacement for the original which may have broke. I doubt it was an "upgrade"
i have a Bluetooth enabled pioneer MP3 stereo with front mounted USB and aux port that was ~ $130 that has a whole slew of color choices for the display and there is a red/orange color that is pretty close to the stock gauges. it also has the port on the back for plug in for the radio controls although i don't have the adapter for it.

your car did most likely come with monsoon. IIRC monsoon was standard on 98+ Trans Am coupes.

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 08-12-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Your steering wheel controls will have power and illumination regardless of whether they are connected to the radio. If they don't, first check the two fuses marked STG WHL CNTRL. Both are 1-amp fuses - #3 is the control power and #13 is the illumination.

It's really easy to determine if your car came with Monsoon - just look for speakers in the hatch area... the base audio system didn't include any speakers in the hatch. You can also check your door label for code W54 or W55 to determine if the car had a Monsoon system (W54 is cassette, W55 is CD). But you should still check for the amp because a previous owner may have removed it.
^^^^ This guy is the expert

I had an aftermarket in mine with the adapter for the steering controls... Very easy to set up. Amazon has them
Old 08-13-2013, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00

Whitebird, thanks for all of the info...I finally got a break in the rain today to go out and see what's going on with my set up...

1) My door shows the code for the cassette player- W54 (does that mean it had a Monsoon cassette HU? or just a standard issue GM HU?)
2) I took the panel off in the rear and looked, as best I can tell there was no amp, but I took some pics so you guys can check it out and confirm that for me
3) My steering wheel controls do not light up when I turn my lights on yet both of the 1 amp fuses #'s 3 and 13 both check out...is this hinting at a possible hack job when the aftermarket HU was installed? Or is there another possible explanation....?
Attached Thumbnails Which stock head unit am I looking for?-cimg3218-copy.jpg   Which stock head unit am I looking for?-cimg3219-copy.jpg  

Last edited by JLFIII; 08-13-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:13 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

1 - W54 means the car has/had a Monsoon system with a GM standard cassette head unit. There really is no such thing as a Monsoon head unit - it's just an ordinary Delco unit with a Monsoon label stuck on the face.

2 - Comparing your photo to the one in the Monsoon FAQ looks like the amp is not present. However, there should still be the wiring connector there. You can see an image of the amp connector in the Monsoon FAQ sticky. It is remotely possible that a previous owner removed the wiring as well but that seems unlikely considering you said it was a pretty cheap HU so I doubt they would have gone to that trouble. Unfortunately, if the amp is missing (and especially if the wiring has been removed), there's not much point in going to a factory HU.

3 - There are a number of things that could cause this but the most common is burned out bulbs or possibly a damaged clock spring in the steering column. There is no reason anyone would have messed with the steering wheel control wiring.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:50 PM
TECH Addict

not to step on whitebirds toes but isn't this the monsoon amp mounting plate? the amp should be on the backside of it.
Attached Thumbnails Which stock head unit am I looking for?-cimg3219-copy.jpg  
Old 08-13-2013, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

not to step on whitebirds toes but isn't this the monsoon amp mounting plate? the amp should be on the backside of it.
I checked out the photo of the tire well with the amp in the sticky and I don't think that it looks the same...

I'm glad I asked all these questions and got all of this info before picking up a stock HU... so I think I'm probably not going to go that route, but I have 2 more questions-

1) If the original amp is gone, where would they have put a replacement or is it likely that there isn't one?

2) Rather than trying to get the steering wheel controls to work again, is there a way to "delete" them? Maybe some sort of plates or inserts to fill the holes if they were to be removed?
Old 08-14-2013, 07:21 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

1 - Chances are that there is no aftermarket amp installed. There's only so many places where you can mount an aftermarket amp and most of them are quite obvious (e.g. in the hatch area).

2 - Just because the switch illumination isn't working doesn't mean the switches don't work... that's two separate circuits. I've never heard of a switch delete option other than buying a different steering wheel that doesn't have the switches.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:33 AM
On The Tree

I appreciate all of the great feedback from everyone...

I had originally (and obviously incorrectly) assumed that the steering wheel controls drew their power from the HU, therefore I thought I could kill two birds with one stone by going back to a stock HU- regaining the controls and getting rid of the ugly atermarket HU.

Since i'm on a really tight budget, I'm going to put a HU upgrade on the back burner for now and try to save up for a more modern aftermarket HU and trouble shoot the steering wheel controls then!

Quick Reply: Which stock head unit am I looking for?