Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Component speakers in sail panel

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 02:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Component speakers in sail panel

Hi all just had a question does anyone run a component setup in the panels

behind the front seats? if so where did you mount the tweeters? im looking into

getting 2 sets of infinity component setups one for the front and one for the

back but not sure where to mount the tweeters in the back for optimal sound if

anyone has done it id appreciate some feedback thanks.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:13 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Be prepared to be inundated with "don't do it" responses (including this one).

First, if it's a Monsoon system, they simply won't work. The Monsoon amp sends only low frequency signal to the sail panels for the factory mid-bass "subs". Any speaker you install there will still get only low frequencies so tweeters are meaningless and the woofer will sound like crap.

The second reason has to do with sound stage. Installing large full range speakers (whether coaxial or component) in the sail panels puts too much higher frequency sound behind you. The car will sound like something from the 70s when everyone put 6x9 speakers on the rear parcel shelf. Even the factory base audio system with full range speakers in the sail panels uses 10-ohm speakers there to reduce the output and create rear fill rather than a primary audio source.

If it is a Monsoon system, please read the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section and maybe consider getting one of the replacement speaker sets from our sponsors Kee Audio or Double D Mods - they are designed to work well with the unique speaker configuration of Monsoon systems.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the response. im not 100% sure if it was a monsoon system i dont believe it was by the time i bought the car 5 years ago it already had replacement deck and 4 walmart pioneer speakers installed. just trying to get some really crystal clear sound of it and from what ive been reading component is the way to go.

so do you think if i put components up front only and maybe some lesser reference series speakers behind the seats that would work good? maybe get an amp and tone them down a bit.

Again thanks for the reply!
Old 08-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I would check if it is a Monsoon system and if it's relatively intact first. The easiest way to recognize a Monsoon system is to see if there are small speakers in the trim panels in the hatch area - Monsoon systems had speakers there, base systems did not.

If it is a Monsoon system then listen to the sail panels and see if you hear only low frequency (bass) from the speakers there. That will tell you if the amp is still powering the speakers. If so, you can make a world of difference in sound quality with a decent aftermarket head unit and a good set of replacement speakers as mentioned above.

If it turns out that it's not a Monsoon system or that the original Monsoon has been removed/butchered then you have more work to do. You still want to get a decent aftermarket head unit. Then you need to decide how much money and time you're willing to put into it. You can create a pretty impressive sound system in an f-body with a big budget but most people don't need that much. You would be amazed at how good a set of components in the doors and a 10" sub in a stealth box can sound. Or you can add a 4-channel amp so that you can still have rear fill speakers in the sail panels (for that "surround" sound that self-declared "audiophiles" will tell you is a bad thing). Personally, I would use something other than Infinity speakers because I find they produce harsh treble that gets annoying after awhile - but that's just my opinion.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:11 AM
Staging Lane

Well i do have the speakers in the trunk but i think the previous owner butched the monsoon system.

I just emailed kee audio asking some questions to i think ill try to go with a good set of components up front with some weaker speakers back seat and rear panel and since im takeing out the back seats maybe put an amp right there and tie it all together.

ill see what they suggest before i go on though im gonna buy a nice alpine or pioneer deck when this all goes in together since the one i have now is bottom of the line 5 years ago with no jacks or anything lol thanks again for the advice!
Old 01-29-2023, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I would check if it is a Monsoon system and if it's relatively intact first. The easiest way to recognize a Monsoon system is to see if there are small speakers in the trim panels in the hatch area - Monsoon systems had speakers there, base systems did not.

If it is a Monsoon system then listen to the sail panels and see if you hear only low frequency (bass) from the speakers there. That will tell you if the amp is still powering the speakers. If so, you can make a world of difference in sound quality with a decent aftermarket head unit and a good set of replacement speakers as mentioned above.

If it turns out that it's not a Monsoon system or that the original Monsoon has been removed/butchered then you have more work to do. You still want to get a decent aftermarket head unit. Then you need to decide how much money and time you're willing to put into it. You can create a pretty impressive sound system in an f-body with a big budget but most people don't need that much. You would be amazed at how good a set of components in the doors and a 10" sub in a stealth box can sound. Or you can add a 4-channel amp so that you can still have rear fill speakers in the sail panels (for that "surround" sound that self-declared "audiophiles" will tell you is a bad thing). Personally, I would use something other than Infinity speakers because I find they produce harsh treble that gets annoying after awhile - but that's just my opinion.
I know this is an old thread but I’m looking into installing a sound system in my Camaro and bypassing the amp. I was recommended ks series kicker speakers for the doors and sails paired with a jl sub and amp. What speakers would you recommend for these cars when bypassing amp? Should I go component or stay coaxial?
Old 01-30-2023, 11:13 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I hope that by saying "bypassing the amp" you actually mean rewiring all of the speaker locations. If you're going to do an audio system upgrade replacing the Monsoon system then do it right and run new wiring for the head unit, amp, and speakers rather than going the "ghetto" route of trying to reuse old factory wiring... especially in a Camaro where all eight speakers were powered by the Monsoon amp.

The biggest gain you can make for sound quality is to replace the factory head unit. All the speaker and amp upgrades in the world aren't going to gain you much if you keep the factory "distortion machine" head unit. In fact, if you plan to keep the factory HU then you should save your money by upgrading the speakers (perhaps with a Kee Audio package or something similar) and retaining the Monsoon amp which isn't particularly powerful but gives clean output into eight channels when given clean input. With the factory HU, that means limiting volume to no more than half of the **** range to avoid distortion.

In general, components will give you better sound than equivalent coaxial speakers. The Monsoon setup of mid-bass speakers in the sail panels has the advantage of keeping the sound stage in the front which is recommended by most serious audio users. However, many people like the "surround sound" effect of having full-range speakers both in front and behind - it's a matter of personal taste.

Quick Reply: Component speakers in sail panel