Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Bi-Xenon HID on '01 Camaro question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bi-Xenon HID on '01 Camaro question

I currently have a single HID on my '01 Camaro.

I want to buy the Morimoto mini Bi-Xenon HID projector and change the projector on these Audi R8 style headlights I have on the Camaro because the projectors on there are crappy with crappy high beams and living in Europe, I need good bright high beams on these low-lit narrow roads.

My question is can this be done and how would I control the low to high beam switch since it will be a single bi-xenon bulb?
Old 09-12-2013, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

should totally be doable, just make sure you get the European version of the projectors, basically the way the bi-xenon Morimoto Mini 2.0 (like used in the BLS V2 kit for the firebirds) work is there is a little solenoid that when engaged pulls the cutoff shield out of the way and that solenoid has a power and a ground wire, just tap that into your high beam positive and negative wires and you should be done.

The only issue I can see is if your camaro is one of those where the lows shut off when you turn the highs on you will need to do the "4 high" mod to have both the low beams and the high beams on when you switch the highs on.
Old 09-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Hey Daniel,

Thanks for your reply. I actually wanted to order the Morimoto Mini 2.0 but currently I have H1 sockets on these headlights. I am not sure if they will work since it says modification needed for H1 at this site...

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...oducts_id=3181

In any case, I already have that mod done...I am able to flash my highs without the lows on and when the lows are on, they stay on along with the highs.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

On those R8-style ebay housings you will be replacing the projector completely so it doesn't matter what bulb it used previously.

There is a thread in the Lighting FAQ where someone swapped out those projectors for Audi projectors. In your case, you'll be using the Morimoto Projectors. The only difference will be whether they will fit (probably will) and how to mount them (probably in a similar manner).

Honestly, in your situation, I'd use the RX350 projector instead. You can get them from TRS as well. In addition to being OEM and not aftermarket, they are a better projector all around and use D2S bulbs and not re-based aftermarket bulbs. That's if you really want bi-xenon. Since those housings have a separate high beam, you can use the RX330 projector (which is low beam only) unless the high beam on those housing isn't that good (in which case, you'll want the bi-xenon for better high beam).

Here is the thread in question:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ctor-swap.html

Also check out HID Planet for more on retrofits. I'm on there as well with the same screen name.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

If you do swap out the projectors in those housings for something better, I'll add it to the Lighting FAQ.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html
Old 09-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

The RX350 projectors are running $250 right now on TRS. If that is more than you want to spend and there is sufficient room, check out the FX, FX-R, or EVOX-R ("R" means Replica). They're cheaper and still good projectors, but a little larger (they are in the $140 - $150 range).

Actually, I just remembered that TRS was working on a mounting plate to make mounting the Morimoto Mini projector easier in some ebay projector housings. You might want to contact them about that. I think the ones they were working on were for Spyder housings and I don't know who makes the R8-style ones or if they use the same H1 Halogen projector.

Also, when deciding between the D2S and H1 version of the Morimoto Mini projector, in the past the H1 version performed better than the D2S version. Not due to the bulb, but due to the bowl design. Which is a shame since D2S is an OEM bulb and H1 is a re-based aftermarket bulb. The D2S 2.0 is better than the D2S 1.0, but I think they are working on a D2S 3.0 which should perform closer to the H1 6.0.

All of the OEM and Replica projectors I mentioned above perform better than the Morimoto Mini. Also, it is recommend to stick with 35 watt HID in the Morimoto Mini because there have been reports of damage from higher wattage. However, some of the OEM projectors I mentioned above can handle 55watt HID.

Last edited by VIP1; 09-13-2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:46 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

This sizing chart has been floating around HID Planet recently and may be helpful to you:

(Lexus RX - AFS = RX330)
(Also, it says that there aren't any usable mounting holes, but I think people just use the holes that mount the two halves of the projector together using threaded rod and bolts to keep the two halves together and provide a mount.)

Last edited by VIP1; 09-13-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

VIP1, thank you for all of the help. I am seriously looking at those RX350 projectors after your advice. $250 is a bit steep but I really need good lighting on these roads in order to be able to drive safely, and fast, if you will.

In any case, these R8 lights look great on the Camaro but the high beams are CATASTROPHIC. When you turn the high beams on, you do not see a bit of difference in the lighting of the road. That is why I need those Bi-Xenons.

Is it hard to switch them out? I will post that guide so you can add it to the FAQ section.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:46 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Take a look at the thread I posted above. That person swapped out the projectors in the same housing you have. Although he used Audi A4 projectors instead of the RX350.

Technically, the bi-xenon TL projector has a better high beam, but I doubt you'll be able to fit those in there.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:50 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Like Daniel Richards said, if haven't already, modify the Camaro headlight wiring to keep the low beams on with the high beams. Otherwise, when you switch to high beam, the bi-xenon solenoid will flip down, but the bulb will turn off since it will be powered by the low beam circuit.

Instructions are in the Lighting FAQ.

Also, use a relay harness for the headlights.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:53 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I forgot to mention, double-check the lens size. The front opening in the shroud in that housing is sized for a specific lens size. If you get a projector with a bigger lens, part of the lens will be covered and not fit properly (also reducing output). Unless you can modify the shroud so that a projector with a bigger lens will fit.

Some of the projectors I listed have a 2.5" lens, some have a 3" lens. My guess is that the original projectors in those housings have a 2.5" lens, in which case you should get a HID bi-xenon projector with a 2.5" lens.

I think the RX350 projector might have a 3" lens.

Quick Reply: Bi-Xenon HID on '01 Camaro question