Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Why does my amber light work only when signaling?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 09:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Why does my amber light work only when signaling?

I have a 98 T/A that has developed a new lighting issue.

My drivers side amber light only works when I signal left. Other wise it stays off.

The passenger side light is functioning normally, blinking when I use the remote to lock and unlock the car, staying on while the car is running and signaling, and both of the amber side marker lights are functioning....

What could be causing this?
Old 09-24-2013, 10:12 PM
TECH Addict

the front facing amber bulbs are DUAL filament bulbs, one is for turn signals and the other is for the DRL, odds are one of the filaments is burned out, pull the bulb out and check/replace it. if that doesn't fix it then you might have the issue my passenger side does when ever the humidity gets to high, my passenger side will just randomly not work then be working the next day.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
the front facing amber bulbs are DUAL filament bulbs, one is for turn signals and the other is for the DRL, odds are one of the filaments is burned out, pull the bulb out and check/replace it. if that doesn't fix it then you might have the issue my passenger side does when ever the humidity gets to high, my passenger side will just randomly not work then be working the next day.
Thanks for the info, i'll head to the local auto parts store tomorrow to replace the bulb and see if that does it.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:50 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
the front facing amber bulbs are DUAL filament bulbs, one is for turn signals and the other is for the DRL, odds are one of the filaments is burned out, pull the bulb out and check/replace it.
Close but not quite. The two filaments in the front 3157 bulbs are a bright one for turn signals and DRL and a dim one for parking/running lights (when the headlights are on and when the remote locks or unlocks the doors). The bright filament is 32 candlepower and the dim filament is only 2 CP. If you replace with a 3457, the bright filament stays the same but the dim one becomes 3 CP - doesn't sound like much but it's 50% brighter.

But you're correct about the symptoms... if the turn signals and DRLs work but the bulb doesn't flash when locking/unlocking and doesn't go on with the headlights then the dim filament is probably burned out. (It could be a wiring or socket problem but it's much more likely to be just the bulb.)

Quick Reply: Why does my amber light work only when signaling?