Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Weird issue.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird issue.

Hey guys, I own a 98 Formula and recently it started acting up.
The problem that I am having is you know when you turn the car off and don't open the door the radio, windows still work? Well mine sometimes turn all off right away as soon as I turn the key.
Also when I go to start the car I always wait for the fuel pump to prime and the radio antenna goes up. Sometimes when I do this the antenna will go up start to go down and then go back up while the key is just in the "on" position.
And today on the way back from the gym I just got into my car started driving and my radio was on. The radio then cut off for a second and I heard the antenna start going down and then the radio went on and the antenna went back up.
Every time this happens I always check to make sure my door is all the way closed. So far I checked the battery terminals and they are tight and I tested the battery while at work and it was good. This seemed to start after my header/intake install and I know I took the alternator off for my header install, so I will be checking that. Any one have a problem like this? Anyone have an idea what else to check? Any info would be awesome.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

BCM issue maybe, sounds like it could be more then one thing, also check the door switch.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, didn't think to check the door switch. I'll do that before the alternator. Hopefully its not the BCM. I mean everything else functions the way it should, besides the lights on the steering wheel control but I think the lights just went bad since it was one then a month later the other. But I will definitely look into it.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:14 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

This sounds like the infamous BCM cold solder problem. It affects the Retained Accessory Power (RAP) circuit intermittently causing the radio and power windows to stop working. The solution is resoldering a couple of connections on the BCM circuit board. There is a very long thread about it: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...blems-fix.html (posts 185 through 189 have step-by-step instructions and photos).
Old 10-08-2013, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Read through the thread and it sounds like my problem. Looks like I know what I will be doing. Thanks again guys.

Quick Reply: Weird issue.