Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

'02 SS Steering wheel control LED conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default '02 SS Steering wheel control LED conversion...

Working on replacing the lights in the steering wheel controls of my '02 SS.

Found a tutorial from a firebird after extensive searching, but once I popped the unit open I found out apparently GM changed the circuit board design by '02; instead of there being one lamp, in '02 there are two lamps and they appear to be run in parallel (but I could be wrong).

Was wondering if anyone here had done it before on the later year F body cars or had a link to a tutorial for doing the conversion on one?

I have matched resistors for my LEDs, I wired in one LED and resistor to the circuit but couldn't get it to light when I tested it, don't know if the system changed from being 12v in later years? Or maybe I got my polarity wrong? Or maybe even the circuit has to be completed in a goofy way to only use 1 LED instead of the 2 incandescent bulbs?

I can try to post pics later if necessary. I would've tried more last night myself, but like a putz I burned the hell out of my finger with my soldering iron; tends to bring workflow to a screeching halt.
Old 10-10-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldn't find any info either but I finally figured it out. In the first picture you will see I marked the contacts that power the lights. Sorry I forget which was +/-, you'll have to test for that so you can connect your leds properly. I didn't like the way it looked with 2 so I added a third. I found the easiest way to make everything fit inside the switch was to solder everything in a parallel like it was from the factory. Then I put the resistors down on the harness that connects the 2 switches together.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by stealth355tpi
I couldn't find any info either but I finally figured it out. In the first picture you will see I marked the contacts that power the lights. Sorry I forget which was +/-, you'll have to test for that so you can connect your leds properly. I didn't like the way it looked with 2 so I added a third. I found the easiest way to make everything fit inside the switch was to solder everything in a parallel like it was from the factory. Then I put the resistors down on the harness that connects the 2 switches together.

Very nice!

I ended up getting it all together last night after I got home from work. I'm developing a strange habit of being able to figure out my problem almost immediately after posting the question to LS1 tech, no matter how long I wait to post the question. :/

Your setup looks MUCH better than mine though, I only went with one LED for each side. I was able to angle the LED so it distributes light pretty OK (the same or brighter than the stock bulbs), but it's definitely not as clean as your setup.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:40 AM
Teching In

where was the tutorial for the 02 bird? wanting to do this to my T/A. Looks nice!
Old 10-16-2013, 11:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dezasterz
where was the tutorial for the 02 bird? wanting to do this to my T/A. Looks nice!
I never looked inside the Pontiac ones but I'm sure its done the same way.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:43 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by stealth355tpi
I never looked inside the Pontiac ones but I'm sure its done the same way.

How much to do mine for me in red?
Old 10-29-2013, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

where'd you get those LEDs? i have white ones in my gauges and those match perfectly.

Quick Reply: '02 SS Steering wheel control LED conversion...