Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Different fuse capacity.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 09:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different fuse capacity.

My 15wat pwraccuracy fuse always goes out when I use my LED fog lights, it's happened twice now and I don't even know if that's the source but this is where I started.. Is it possible to use a 20 watt and see if it holds or would that not even light up.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Do not just up wattage of a fuse. The fuse is there to protect the wiring of the car. If you're blowing fuses, then something is wrong or your trying to draw too much current through the wiring from what you added.

LED fog lights should use a lot less power; so it sounds like something is bad with those.

If they do require more current than 15A, then wire in a relay that draws power from the battery, then use the fog light wire to trigger the relay. BUT make sure the power lead from the battery is fused as well.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:29 PM
TECH Addict

what he said except its 15 AMP not watt, you don't up the wattage of a fuse you up the amperage. but NO you should never replace a fuse with a higher rated one especially if you keep blowing them.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Not to mention that your fog lights should not be on the PWR ACCY fuse anyway. The fog lights (when properly wired) are on the running/parking light circuit protected by the TAIL LPS fuse.

I say why not use a bigger fuse? If that blows too, wrap it in aluminum foil and plug it in again. Then get some marshmallows and toast them over the resulting bonfire.
Old 10-18-2013, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
what he said except its 15 AMP not watt, you don't up the wattage of a fuse you up the amperage. but NO you should never replace a fuse with a higher rated one especially if you keep blowing them.
D'oh! 10 hours sleep over the last 72+ hours, and not enough coffee/Monster/5-Hour energy when I wrote that response. Brain processed it as Amps, but even I regurgitated Watts.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Hmm, I will try to relay it correctly. Would of never guessed that, thanks.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:38 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

If you have LED lights (not HID) and they are blowing a fuse then adding a relay will only make the problem worse. LEDs draw far less current than standard bulbs so they are LESS likely to blow fuses unless there is something wrong with the wiring. You will be feeding more current through the relay to a circuit that apparently has a dead short. You should do some testing and find the reason for the blown fuses before you start throwing parts at it.

Quick Reply: Different fuse capacity.