Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Rear speakers not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 11:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Title says it all, rear speakers are not working. Multimeter measures 0 current going to them while the radio is on and the fronts are working fine. Radio is set to center to half front half back for sound. Have no amp/sub or anything, just a non factory head unit. Checked head unit wiring and all looks good, going to measure current coming out to the rears in a bit to make sure the units not messed up. My question is, are there fuses for speakers? And if so, are they separate for front/rear speakers? Also I mean the ones in the back seat not the ones in the trunk area.... because those are gone lol.... last owner Any ideas???

He had subs/amp/speakers in the car but decided to take them out right before I met up to pay him, sneaky SoB. He put the factory speakers back in the back seat area but that's all and he did not get them working beforehand. Don't know if that will help at all.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 10-22-2013 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 10-22-2013, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

If the system were stock, all the speakers would be powered by the Monsoon amp, located by your spare wheel. Since this car had a modified sound system which the previous owner removed, my best guess would be that he had a separate amp powering your subs (speakers in the back seat area). Check the rear trunk area behind and under the carpets and I'd bet you'll find some wires that should have went to an amp that you don't have anymore
Old 10-22-2013, 03:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are correct. In the process of installing an amp w/new speakers in the trunk backseat and doors now. What size do i need for the trunk and doors? And I have never had an amp power anything but a 12" sub before but I assume it works the same. Remote from stereo to amp, rca's from stereo to amp, speaker wire from amp to all 6 speakers. You think a single 900W amp will be good enough ?

Quick Reply: Rear speakers not working