Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

stealth options

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stealth options

I'm researching my options for a few speakers this holiday season. This is a 01 camaro. Factory system and wiring and everything speaker-wise is gone.

What I have and am ok with:

my deck has 6 channel coaxial pre-amp output so i have 2 going to front amp and the other 4 going to the rear. 2 of the rear can be set as sub channels by the head unit or i can allow the rear amp to filter the channels into sub or whatever (it has high pass and low pass settings ). Currently i let the amp do the work and just pass-through at the head-unit.

I have a front 2 channel amp that's 1000watt max so around 500watt rms. This powers my component Soundstream tarantula 6.5 midrange and ~1.5" tweater component pair. I'm good with that at this time.

In the rear I have a 2000 watt 4 channel amp (so we can say around 1000watt rms). This amp is powered by a 1 ferad cap. Currently this powers crap speakers.

What I am thinking about :

What i had originally planned was 2 channels to power my hatch speakers and the other two channels to power woofer/subwoofers in the sail panels at the rear seat. The "subs" i put in were apparently some fairly cheap BS rating'd speakers that blew up at less than half volume and well below the wattage claims they were sold as ...but they were cheap so you get what you pay for to an extent. Lanzar speakers SUCK.

I'm currently wondering if it would be better to put a set of 4" speakers in the hatch on both sides (so 4 ) and put that in series to the biggest speaker i can fit in the stock location in the sail panels (multi-voice mid-range ). I know the sail panel opening is for a 6.25-6.5" but if it's possible (speaker size wise) i can open that hole up to however large the plastic grill covering can accomodate. Hopefully 8" but whatever.

I'm not worried about the impedence issues. If i can manage 2Ohm speakers i can come out with ~8ohm total for the 3 speakers per channel and at 500 watt rms ..I doubt I'd be pushing that with these sizes... I want it loud but still retain quality. I'm very impressed by my soundstream front component setup in that regard.

So that leaves 2 channels open and I was thinking of bridging them and going with a single 10" sub in the stealth sub area on the driver side of the "trunk " area.

and the additional questions:

Would it be better with a different speaker setup in the rear hatch area while remaining hidden under the wheel well covers? What alternatives have you tried there and what kind of success did you have ? 4x6's or what?

Would i be better doing a single voice mid-range for the sail panels or two voice or full on 3 (tweater coil). I get that the more coils it has the more impedence the speaker will have but i have 500watt rms avail on each of the 4 channels in the rear so i'm probably ok there.

Are there any other areas where you stealth mounted speakers other than the stock factory locations?

I'm very tempted to go with an all soundstream setup for speakers because of how good they sound, their peak wattage, and their price but I'm open to alternatives. Experiences with any not-so-known brands that turned out really good without being really really expensive are extremely welcome.

Oh, and mostly the kind of music I listen to in the car is symphonic metal.

Quick Reply: stealth options