Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Installing amp under seat?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installing amp under seat?

Is it possible or recommended to install an amp under one of the front seats? I'd like to put an amp for the door & sail speaker under the passenger (manual) seat so I don't have to run so much wiring. I also see it's recommended to install the amp on some type of board, which isn't a problem, but how do you fasten the board to the floor?

I'm considering the following amps, any recommendations among these or something else? Looking for 50-60wattsx4 RMS @ 4 ohms. I have a Pioneer DEH-X8500BH head unit, with a set of Rockford Fosgate P1675's in the rear sail panels and a set of Rockford Fosgate P165's on the way for the doors. Both speakers are rated at 55 watts RMS @ 4 ohms.

MB Quart OA400.4 Onyx series - 50wx4
Precision Power PPI S320.4 Sedona Series - 55wx4
Hifonics GLX60.4 Gladiator Series - 60wx4
Old 11-05-2013, 12:57 PM
TECH Addict

well of those 3 the Hifonics GLX60.4 is the only CEA 2006 certified, so you can trust it's power ratings, as for mounting, amps need good airflow so it is never recommended to put them under the seat, I'm sure some have and may not have a problem but I once worked with a guy who had his amp under the seat of his truck and his dad slid the seat and pinched the power wire and the sparks from the short started a fire and burned like the whole interior so I would never suggest it myself.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

There isn't crap for room under the seats in our cars, so most likely it won't fit...
Old 11-05-2013, 03:57 PM
On The Tree

Okay, thanks for the info. Rear hatch area it is, I guess. And thanks for pointing that out about the CEA 2006 certification, I hadn't even noticed that. I'm not overly thrilled with the Hifonics - maybe I'll go back to the Pioneer GM-6500F that I've been looking at.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ I would be OK with that one simply because it is CEA 2006 certified, very few Hifonics, MB Quart, Autotek or any of the brands currently owned my Maxxsonics are actually certified, but the ones that are typically are good amps, now if it was NOT CEA 2006 certified (like the MB Quart) then I wouldn't touch it, because odds are it wouldn't do much more then the Pioneer HU would.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Actually looking at the Kenwood KAC-8405 now. CEA 2006 & 60wx4, should be good. Where are people mounting their amps in their 4th gens? I thought about removing the sub box & putting it there, but I'll probably end up putting a custom box with 10" sub next year at bonus time. I have t-tops, but otherwise don't use the trunk area much. Maybe on the back of the trunk area (toward the rear bumper)? I'll have to google some pics for install ideas I guess.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:05 AM
TECH Addict

check the dimensions, you could try to get your hands on the stock monsoon amp mounting plate and use it to hide the amp by the spare tire (or build one that attaches in that area), personally I would lean toward the Hifonics myself. I own a Autotek (which is owned by the same company) and like there newer stuff a lot better then the kenwoods and as much as I like Pioneer HU's, I won't use there amps.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:14 AM
11 Second Club

Couple ideas.

Alpine power pack, its about the size of 2 packs of cigarettes end to end. I install tons of these, and they work great. Rated at 45rms X 4. And you install them directly behind the radio. They have 2 different models, one ends in A (alpine plugs on the input and output) and a U, for universal. The universal one has gain controls and built him HPF's if needed. And Retail is only $150 for the Universal one (better in my eyes).

Also, Rockford Fosgate makes some really small amps. About 6x8. Ive only installed them once, but they seemed really nice.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:29 AM
On The Tree

I like the idea of putting it in the spare tire location, I think I'll do that. I found another thread on here that was very helpful (saw your pic, Daniel), and that looks like the way to go. I saw the Band Director's page with instructions too. I'll have to dig a little deeper for the monsoon bracket, a quick ebay search just brought up brackets with amps installed on them.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm a Maxxsonics fan myself; I've got a Hifonics Brutus 1500.1 that I've had driving a Adire Audio Brahama MKII for years, and it's never missed a beat.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Staging Lane

I ran a fosgate amp under the seat of my 86 c10 Chevrolet and it did good got hot though. If I do another under seat install ill be sure to find a air vent or run a vent house to the amp so when im driving it gets air. As far as a Camaro go I haven't seen much room under one but not only that will be a problem but the airflow will be. I do most car installs in the truck or if the person wants to see the amp ill mount it on top of the back near the glass and cut a tiny hole for the wires.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Kolk1
Also, Rockford Fosgate makes some really small amps. About 6x8. Ive only installed them once, but they seemed really nice.
Originally Posted by DamonZ28
I like the idea of putting it in the spare tire location, I think I'll do that. I found another thread on here that was very helpful (saw your pic, Daniel), and that looks like the way to go. I saw the Band Director's page with instructions too. I'll have to dig a little deeper for the monsoon bracket, a quick ebay search just brought up brackets with amps installed on them.
I ended up not getting any brackets, seemed like too big of a pain. What I did was just go to home depot and get some industrial strength velcro strips. Put them on my amp and on the chassis and it holds very well:

Couple of things though, if you have a larger amp it might not fit and also DO NOT COVER YOU COOLING VENT if you do this.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

^^^^^^ I wouldn't mount that low myself, if anything clogs the little hole at the bottom water can collect in that well.

Also wouldn't mount under the seat for the same reason, if you get a t-top leak the water that ends up in the rear floor board will slosh forward to under the seat real easy.

Quick Reply: Installing amp under seat?