Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Tablet install into 4th gen T/A

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tablet install into 4th gen T/A

Here is my install of a 2013 Nexus 7 4G lte into my 99 Trans Am. I modified a Double Din radio bezel. The top tablet edge actually sits even with the bezel (I had to cut off the top return part of the bezel). I didnt take many pictures of the install, but I did take a few of how I cut the bezel. The bezel is not from a site sponsor so I didn't post a link to it.

I'm using an Audison Bit One as my sound processor which is mounted behind the tablet (real tight fit).

I used Cyanogen mod 10.2 to get the tablet to play Audio out of the USB port. It sounds incredible. Factory speakers and Amp were replaced also.

I still need to file the top cut of the bezel. It is slightly wavy since I only free handed it with a dremel.

Thanks for looking!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Addict

I plan to do something like this one day with my Samsung Tab2 7" but do to the size of the tablets bezel it's to big to fit with the AC controls left in place so I've got to come up with a place to move them, then I plan to move my pioneer deck (I'm choosing to keep my traditional HU so I can retain the capacity to play CD's because I occasionally get someone saying hey I wanna hear what this sounds like on your radio) to like the center console or something instead of going the other route like you did. Also I want mine to be easily "detachable" so it can come with me whenever I get out of the car.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Looks awesome!
Old 11-12-2013, 07:59 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Proper.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Looks really good. i am about 50% finished with my bezel for my galaxy tab. i only hope mine will look that good.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
I plan to do something like this one day with my Samsung Tab2 7" but do to the size of the tablets bezel it's to big to fit with the AC controls left in place so I've got to come up with a place to move them, then I plan to move my pioneer deck (I'm choosing to keep my traditional HU so I can retain the capacity to play CD's because I occasionally get someone saying hey I wanna hear what this sounds like on your radio) to like the center console or something instead of going the other route like you did. Also I want mine to be easily "detachable" so it can come with me whenever I get out of the car.
The detachable part is a deal breaker for the following. Since the tablets are about the same price as a descent HU, I made mine permanent.

I used a gen 1 Nexus 7 which is 198.5 x 120mm to originally mock this up. This was also when I was going to make my own bezel. I actually cut the top of my ac controls (replacements are cheap) and cut the plastic fins on the top part of the radio opening right behind the vinyl wrap that is there. You cannot see any of the cutting even with the bezel off. You just need to be careful not to cut into your vinyl dash pad.

The Galaxy Tab 2 is only 2.5mm taller. You would have to see where the screen ends up though. The 1st gen nexus7 was pushing it size wise. The gen 2 nexus 7 is 114mm in height and made my cutting all for nothing.

Just in case anyone is interested you can put a 2013 Nexus 7 in the dash with 0 cutting to the car. You would only need to cut an existing bezel or make one. I know some people will never put their baby under the knife.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

The galaxy tab 2 7.0 fits with just modification to the stock TA bezel. I went a different route with mine since I didnt want the tablet to be the main source of sound so i wasnt reliant on only listening to music i have stored and hope that i have data signal off the phone since I like to go on cruises through the mountains where data signal is non existant. My setup still uses a HU and syncs up automatically (starts up and shuts down with ignition as well thanks to other threads posted on this site for tips on that).

I like your bezel man. I'm still working on mine (havent touched it since making it as far as what I have pictured) but it still needs a bezel fabbed up for behind the tablet where my hvac controls are. I've been tossing around an idea for something a bit more extravagant but it'll require a bit of seriousness in glass work on my part which i just havent had the time for lately. Besides being one heck of a piece of hardware what made you opt for the nexus vs the galaxy tab 2 7.0? I tossed around the 2 before delving into my setup but the galaxy tab won over the nexus due to it having the sd card slot. That was the deal breaker for me.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:29 AM
TECH Addict

well it's freezing (literally 30 degrees) outside so I'm not gonna dig into it now, but this weekend should be decent so I'm gonna rip into it and see just how tight the fit comes in at without the radio in place. I never mocked it up with the radio out of the way just with the bezel off.

I wanna do something like this in terms of how the tablet "plugs in":

Last edited by Daniel Richards; 11-13-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 12:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by dementia
Besides being one heck of a piece of hardware what made you opt for the nexus vs the galaxy tab 2 7.0? I tossed around the 2 before delving into my setup but the galaxy tab won over the nexus due to it having the sd card slot. That was the deal breaker for me.
I live in flat and boring to drive in South Florida. I do have 4G Lte everywhere I go. I also have a 1tb external hard drive so no storage issues there.

It was the picture and hardware that sold me.

Your setup looks great with the HU under the tablet.

The galaxy tab does fit where you have it, but not with the ac controls. At least not If you recess the tablet.
Old 11-13-2013, 03:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by loosecannonzs
I live in flat and boring to drive in South Florida. I do have 4G Lte everywhere I go. I also have a 1tb external hard drive so no storage issues there.

It was the picture and hardware that sold me.

Your setup looks great with the HU under the tablet.

The galaxy tab does fit where you have it, but not with the ac controls. At least not If you recess the tablet.
Yea I had to recess my hvac controls to put the tab there since I didn't feel motivated enough to reroute/extend the wires/vac lines to the glove box or the center console. I don't really use the heat or ac when I drive the car but for some reason I'm not really ready to part with the ac lol so I decided to just sink them back a bit behind the tab if I ever wanted to use them they'd be there.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dementia
Yea I had to recess my hvac controls to put the tab there since I didn't feel motivated enough to reroute/extend the wires/vac lines to the glove box or the center console. I don't really use the heat or ac when I drive the car but for some reason I'm not really ready to part with the ac lol so I decided to just sink them back a bit behind the tab if I ever wanted to use them they'd be there.
any write-up on how you recessed them? I may do this if I can get them far enough back, then I'll only want to move the CD player.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:47 PM
Teching In

The bezel I bought and modified actually has the radio part moved out past the ac controls. If you look at the picture you can see the bottom of the radio slot covers part of the ac controls.

I just posted this last comment as info for anyone interested in doing what I did. Not trying start a debate about your radio retaining setup (which I like).

I also debated moving the Hvac controls to the glove box. Unfortunately I use mine all the time since I need to get my car from 100 + degrees to 70ish ASAP, then crank it down from there.

I hate you for living in Colorado. I went skiing in Breckenridge with my brother a while back and fell in love with Colorado (we drove there so I got to see a lot of it). I'm sure it has it's down sides for car enthusiasts with salty and icy roads while Florida is all year driving (if you don't mind rain).
Old 11-13-2013, 10:19 PM
TECH Resident

Ha lol well I hate you for living in Florida. I'm 30 now and I've been here since the 3rd grade and I still havent seen brekenridge or gone skiing/snowboarding. Florida is actually one of the few places in the world I want to visit before I die.

I dont have any write up as to how I recessed the hvac controls yet. I still havent made it permanent since i dont have a bezel fabbed up behind the tablet its basically the radio with the hvac above it and then a gap above that. To recess it though I measured out how far back I'd need it, I dremeled out the horizontal part of the tray that was in there and then dremeled in a notch into the left wall of the stock radio tray thats affixed in the dash to slide the tab on the left part of the hvac. I shocked myself by how tight the hvac fit in there. With it in place its a struggle to pry it out if i need to pull the radio out to do something behind/beneath it. I thought for sure I'd cut it to where it was too loose and would have to get creative with bolts/nuts but I luckily nailed it on my first try.

Unfortunately I havent had any time to put into it this past few months since I started back up with school and juggle work with that but I've got a nice fitting template made out of some thick stock paper that I was going to try and glass over to fab up my bezel. If I'm going to put in effort with glassing it though I've actually been toying around an idea for a bit of a redesign in my layout of the HU and Tab so when I get some off time from school I'll probably have some more to report on that front but I'm sure all of you guys jumping in on this will pass me up and fast. I'm already impressed by the pics and creativity from the board with tab installs.

What little free time I can muster up has been occupied with getting my last round of mods sorted out. Recently made the change to E85, had a monster triple installed and kinks finally worked out with it but since that last round of mods, i've had persistent issues with idling. I've replaced my IAC/TPS to no avail and I'm almost positive its my MAF possibly having gone out so I've got what i need to change over to speed density but I want to scrounge up the cash to do either ebay carts on my APS twins or pony up for the DKT's finally and then get retuned for SD. Right now that and the rest of life has taken precidence over my stereo system build but when it happens, i'll be sure to do a write up as I have been taking pics along the way. Just dont have enough progress to put a thread together on.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Sorry wrong thread

Quick Reply: Tablet install into 4th gen T/A