Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help with Kicker sound system!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Kicker sound system!!!

So, I was wondering which kind of setup I should run for my sound system in my 2000 Camaro. My Camaro is a T-top so, I was thinking about two 10" Kicker L5s with a custom sub box, but I don't want to pay 300 dollars just for the box. Another setup I was thinking about was just a single 10" Kicker L7 sub with a stealth box, then I'd just replace my stock speakers with some kickers. Which setup would be better? (Any good suggestions for amps would be nice too)
Old 11-30-2013, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Step one, forget your square speaker concept, subs should be round. If your willing to lose your backseat I'd sell you my box for 2 12's for 150 (subs NOT included), I have some ideas for a new design but won't do it unless I find someone to buy my box, I'm in Ellijay, GA about 2 hours from you.

here is a video of it (I haven't made any videos of it playing in this configuration):

or I could build one for you for about the same as I'm asking for my box since where close enough that you could drive up here to pick it up when it's done, it wouldn't be carpeted so you can choose how you wanna finish it.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:13 PM
TECH Regular

check out the JL audio stealthbox. killer sound! and if it isn't loud enough you can put a 10w6 in there and really rock!
Old 12-01-2013, 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
Step one, forget your square speaker concept, subs should be round. If your willing to lose your backseat I'd sell you my box for 2 12's for 150 (subs NOT included), I have some ideas for a new design but won't do it unless I find someone to buy my box, I'm in Ellijay, GA about 2 hours from you.

here is a video of it (I haven't made any videos of it playing in this configuration):

or I could build one for you for about the same as I'm asking for my box since where close enough that you could drive up here to pick it up when it's done, it wouldn't be carpeted so you can choose how you wanna finish it.
Nice sub box design!! I wouldn't mind a set up like that but I usually ride around with my friends so I'm going to need the backseats. I heard the L7s were the best and that square subs delivery more bass than the round ones.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:51 AM
TECH Regular

L7's do put out alot of bass. i have 4 L7 8" subs in my truck and love them. but if you are looking for sound quality i would go with another sub. L5's are not in production anymore so any that you find will either be refurbished or previously abused.

what is our budget to work with here? what kind of music do you listen to? what's your overall goal with your system?
Old 12-01-2013, 12:02 PM
Launching!

If you haven't bought kicker I would stay away from them.There are better options for your money.

highs look at polk db 6.5's or memphis mclass 6.5's
amps and subs jl audio or sundown

I've been messing with car audio a while and have all 3 of these brands in my cars and trucks.
Old 12-03-2013, 05:59 PM
Teching In

Infinity Kappa components are fantastic speakers. Best bang for your buck imo. The clarity of the highs and mids is awesome. I bought my TA and it came with a 10" L7. Great bass, but no clarity. I have a JL 10W3-2 in my truck and love it. Plan on replacing the L7 with the same. Plenty of bass and very sharp, crisp sound.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by (SS)
If you haven't bought kicker I would stay away from them.There are better options for your money.

I've been messing with car audio a while and have all 3 of these brands in my cars and trucks.
Nice, I just went with Kicker because everyone i know has them. I'll probably go with a JL audio stealth box. As far as replacing the stock speakers go, I'll have to do some more research. Might just go on YouTube and check out some sound clips.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by huckapatooey
Infinity Kappa components are fantastic speakers. Best bang for your buck imo. The clarity of the highs and mids is awesome. I bought my TA and it came with a 10" L7. Great bass, but no clarity. I have a JL 10W3-2 in my truck and love it. Plan on replacing the L7 with the same. Plenty of bass and very sharp, crisp sound.
I heard JL audio was good. I'm definitly getting the custom JL audio stealth box. I'm still figuring out what to replace my stock speakers with and what amp I'm going to run.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

FYI, the Polk Audio DB6501's is whats in the doors in the video above. I need to amp them to make a final judgement on them.
Old 12-04-2013, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blackghost
Nice, I just went with Kicker because everyone i know has them. I'll probably go with a JL audio stealth box. As far as replacing the stock speakers go, I'll have to do some more research. Might just go on YouTube and check out some sound clips.
Go to your local car stereo shop and listen first hand.In my old camaro I had a 10w3 in a stealth box.My camaro before that I had 2 jl W7 10's.In my wife's expedition I have a 10W7 and a jl 900/5.Loud clean bass and plenty of power for the memphis mclass highs.In my work truck I have 2 sundown sa8v2's and a sundown 1500 with a sundown 125.2 on polk db componets.Loud and clean.

I bought all my stuff off ebay,amazon and graigslist and saved alot of money.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:12 PM

Go to your local car stereo shop and listen first hand.In my old camaro I had a 10w3 in a stealth box.My camaro before that I had 2 jl W7 10's.In my wife's expedition I have a 10W7 and a jl 900/5.Loud clean bass and plenty of power for the memphis mclass highs.In my work truck I have 2 sundown sa8v2's and a sundown 1500 with a sundown 125.2 on polk db componets.Loud and clean.

I bought all my stuff off ebay,amazon and graigslist and saved alot of money.
Wow, sounds like you took the smart route. I guess I'm going to be making a trip to my local audio shop.
Old 12-04-2013, 03:17 PM

When I finally get my sound system set up up I'll post some pics and some video too. I want to do this right so it might take a week or two. In the mean time anyone who wants to post some pics or video of their setup is more than welcome to!!! Thanks for all the great advice!!
Old 12-04-2013, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a JL 10w6 in a stealthbox in my 99 Formula and it wounded great. In my 01 Camaro, I'm using the same stealthbox with a Rockford R2D4-10 because it was a lot more cost effective at the moment, and I'm surprisingly impressed with the sound and how clean it is.
Old 12-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Staging Lane

Steer clear of kickers new stuff. If Walmart has it now its defiently not what it use to be. JL makes great stuff, the stealth box sound killer, and it's American made
Old 12-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jason78
Steer clear of kickers new stuff. If Walmart has it now its defiently not what it use to be. JL makes great stuff, the stealth box sound killer, and it's American made
Walmart only has their really low end stuff. They also have Pioneer, Fosgate, Sony and a bunch of other brands. You won't find any L7s in walmart. Kicker makes some good speakers, but there are much better. The L7 pushes out a ton of bass, just not as clean as I prefer myself. I agree on the JL though, I'm running a W-3v3 10 in my truck and love it.
Old 12-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Launching!

Choosing the right radio is pretty important too.I have a pioneer 4400 double din in the wifes truck and a 08 model pioneer premier single din radio in my tacoma(work truck)
Old 12-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the record Kicker stuff is middle of the road. The L7 subs are loud, very loud and that's about it. In F-Body's you are sharing the same airspace as the sub so sound quality is also important because your going to actually hear what the sub is pushing out. I have done every combination you can think of with regards to speakers of all the manufacturers and sub combinations. The only thing I like from Kicker is their amps. That's about it. Infinity is tinny and brash and they lack low end midbass. They always have no matter which series you get, they always have had to have a subwoofer backing them up to sound decent.
A single quality 10" sub in a stealth box is alot in these cars because of the nature of the hatchback area. It seems to magnify the bass as it reflects off the glass. When I say quality 10" sub I do not mean a Kicker, Fosgate, JL, etc. JL is decent but for half the money you spend on a JL sub you can do a better sub from RE Audio, Massive, MMATS, JBL, and several others. I do like the Sundown stuff alot. I have been using RE and Massive alot though as they have a nice balance of loud and precise bass response. Here are a few I've done:

On special right now:

Massive Audio 10" sub on 1500watts:

Nice JBL GTO 10" sub with JBL 501EZ:

Image Dynamics IDQ10V3:

MMATS P2.5 10" sub:

That's just a few I've done. The RE special I have right now is awesome. I will have to shoot some video of that when I get a chance.
I would be happy to help you put together a system you will be very happy with. I've been doing these for many years and have used about every speaker from all the major brands you can think of. Happy to help if I can! Just shoot me an email and I can put something together for you.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
When I say quality 10" sub I do not mean a Kicker, Fosgate, JL, etc. JL is decent but for half the money you spend on a JL sub you can do a better sub from RE Audio, Massive, MMATS, JBL, and several others. I do like the Sundown stuff alot. I have been using RE and Massive alot though as they have a nice balance of loud and precise bass response.
Thanks for the post! I've been looking at Pioneer & Fosgate for bonus time next spring, but I'll take a look at these too.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:27 AM

GO ALL OUT!!! I have 4 Rockford Fosgate 12s in the back of my 98 z28 with a 1500 watt Rockford amp. Right now I am upgrading from p1s to p2s, I have 2 p2s in it now with 2 p1s. soon as I sell of my 4 p1s I am going to order 2 more p2s. Id say throw 4 12s in the back a nasty amp and a mechman alt and you'll be doing just fine...LOL

Quick Reply: Help with Kicker sound system!!!