Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Things the GM Service Manual Doesn't tell you

Old 12-30-2013, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Default Things the GM Service Manual Doesn't tell you

Just thought I would share this crazy story. I have a 98 z28, 155k, A4, etc. Its a good solid runner, just needed some TLC when I got it. I've slowing been cleaning it up and replacing/fixing stuff, and of course making it quicker. I bought it to learn how to tune with.

The only thing I could never fix is the windows and stereo ALWAYS had power regardless of if the key was in or the doors were open. I've replaced relays in the BCM and touched up solder joints, etc. No fix. I followed the service manual for the RAP module as well as the BCM to troubleshoot. Based on the results, it said I should have replaced the BCM. However, I noticed with NO BCM connected, I still had power to the windows and stereo.

I was in the process of replacing the upper dash pad and decided to pull the headlight switch while I was waiting for epoxy to dry, low and behold, I noticed 2 wire nuts and a jumper on the back of the IP fuse block. I looked through the schematics and it looked like the jumper was in the wrong spot and the wire color with the wire nut looked like it came from the BCM that I traced before. Apparently, an old owner must have wanted the windows/radio on all the time and moved the jumper on the fuse block and cut the BCM wire, feeding battery power to the interior all the time! A wire nut and a snip later and everythings fixed and the BCM and RAP function like they're supposed to!!! Just goes to show you the service manual won't protect you from previous owners
Old 12-31-2013, 06:39 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by ddnspider
A
wire nut and a snip later and everythings fixed and the BCM and RAP function like they're supposed to!!! Just goes to show you the service manual won't protect you from previous owners
Congrads on tracking that down. With all the work you are putting in to the car, I'd suggest fixing that wire properly and ditching the wire nut. Those things can't handle vibration and have no place on a car or other type of vehicle.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:44 AM
10 Second Club

I agree, that was just a quick fix to test it out
Old 12-31-2013, 09:43 AM
Save the manuals!

If you haven't seen this before, this is the GM Terminal/Wire repair manual, which compliments the Factory Service Manual. (Dealers get this with their terminal repair kits.)

http://mintzer.com/images/Jeep/Metri...stallation.pdf
Old 12-31-2013, 10:52 AM
10 Second Club

Thats pretty cool, I haven't seen that before. Having an electrical background, I thought it was neat that the service manual had a section about splicing/connecting wires together with steps for the crimper, etc. I know I was lost when trying to troubleshoot wiring before I had the service manual and never would have found this without it. It's ashame its not readily available to all.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:16 AM
Save the manuals!

Yea, It's surprising that this manual (with a lot of key general information) is generally only supplied through Kent-Moore.

I've found this manual and Delphi's connector look-up (they supply dimensioned engineering drawings for all their terminals online) key for tracking down odd connectors, terminals, and such.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats nothing, you should see the hack job (and I mean that literally) that was done by a previous owner to my brothers prelude, one of the previous owners did a swap with a JDM h22 VTEC (the car had been an H23 non-vtec) and had those ricer glow pedals, well the power for the pedals came off the driver side rear side marker light and was made of atleast 3 different pieces of wire in the run to the front of the car, the whole parking light circuit gets it's power "reverse fed" from the headlights (there is a splice in the headlight power wire just before the headlight to send power into the parking lights) but for some reason now the parking lights aren't working and it's some kind of loose connection under the drivers side of the dash (not the turn signal switch, we replaced that last week). it's a mess under there to most of those harnesses have been cut and spliced as part of the swap.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:57 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
thats nothing, you should see the hack job (and I mean that literally) that was done by a previous owner to my brothers prelude
Brothers don't let brothers buy Hondas.

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
those ricer glow pedals
Those sound cool. Do they make them in red to match the Firebird interior lighting?
Old 12-31-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Brothers don't let brothers buy Hondas.
he works in a different county so he needed something decent on GAS he had been driving this truck and before that the Nova in the other picture and before that the 79 T/A, this is his second honda, he just needed something cheap and better on gas (and reliable enough for highway driving).

He still has the truck and the T/A but they need work just to get them back on the road and the T/A needs alot.

Originally Posted by wssix99
Those sound cool. Do they make them in red to match the Firebird interior lighting?
a quick google says yes, but I don't like them (and we unhooked them from his car).
Attached Thumbnails Things the GM Service Manual Doesn't tell you-0716091808.jpg   Things the GM Service Manual Doesn't tell you-2012-08-25_19-19-31_68.jpg   Things the GM Service Manual Doesn't tell you-2012-08-22_14-36-24_326.jpg  
Old 01-03-2014, 01:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I started to question my factory manual when it told me to replace the pcm if I couldn't see an rpm reading on my scan tool while cranking the engine over. The conclusion it should have led me to was replacing the opti. Which is the same conclusion everyone comes to on an LT1 car. If someone would have just told GM maybe we'd still have Pontiac
Old 01-03-2014, 06:45 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kyoytey1693
I started to question my factory manual when it told me to replace the pcm if I couldn't see an rpm reading on my scan tool while cranking the engine over. The conclusion it should have led me to was replacing the opti. Which is the same conclusion everyone comes to on an LT1 car. If someone would have just told GM maybe we'd still have Pontiac
RIP Pontiac

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Things the GM Service Manual Doesn't tell you