Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New Headunit

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Headunit

hi, I just got a new head unit, a kenwood kdc mp-142 (non-sponsor link removed) on crutchfield it says its a modified fit for a 99 Camaro with the monsoons system. Anyone with experience know what needs to be modified for the install of this head unit?

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 01-14-2014 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

My guess is that they just mean that you'll need the in-dash receiver kit.

You'll want to delete your (non-sponsor) link to Crutchfield's website before the moderators beat you to it.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

All the info you need is in the sticky:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...nsoon-faq.html
Old 01-14-2014, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DamonZ28
My guess is that they just mean that you'll need the in-dash receiver kit.

You'll want to delete your (non-sponsor) link to Crutchfield's website before the moderators beat you to it.
haha that beat me to it
Old 01-14-2014, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by M4N14C
All the info you need is in the sticky:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...nsoon-faq.html
Ive read through that, I guess what im asking is there any cutting I have to do to fit the head unit brackets into the center dash
Old 01-14-2014, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

You shouldn't need to, the kits are usually designed to be a direct fit.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Depending on the depth of the HU, you may need to do some trimming on the bracing in front of the big defrost duct. ...not a big deal. If you are using the pre-amp RCA outs, consider getting some 90 degree RCA adapters, or using RCA cables with 90 degree ends.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Capricio
Depending on the depth of the HU, you may need to do some trimming on the bracing in front of the big defrost duct. ...not a big deal. If you are using the pre-amp RCA outs, consider getting some 90 degree RCA adapters, or using RCA cables with 90 degree ends.
This is what I was asking. on crutchfield it says that my headunit would be a modified fit. im guessing this is one where I would have to trim the bracing? some head units say that it will fit on the website, im trying to figure out what they meant by modified fit
Old 01-18-2014, 02:29 PM
Teching In

I have not swapped a head unit yet. But, I've read that the only thing that should require modification is the rear support bracket for the stock head unit. Supposedly it simply unbolts, or you can cut it off.

With it in the way, virtually every aftermarket head unit (with the exception of digital media receivers, which are shorter) will be too long. Crutchfield offers an extension kit which will cause the head unit to protrude 1/2" from the dash. I don't believe you'll need it if you remove the support bracket.

Crutchfield's "Shop Products that fit your Chevrolet Camaro" page, under All Car Stereo's, "Read before you buy" for a 99 Camaro even says.

"Installation Notes
You'll need to cut out the plastic rear support bracket to make room for your new receiver."

Last edited by cam94z28; 01-18-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cam94z28
I have not swapped a head unit yet. But, I've read that the only thing that should require modification is the rear support bracket for the stock head unit. Supposedly it simply unbolts, or you can cut it off.

With it in the way, virtually every aftermarket head unit (with the exception of digital media receivers, which are shorter) will be too long. Crutchfield offers an extension kit which will cause the head unit to protrude 1/2" from the dash. I don't believe you'll need it if you remove the support bracket.

Crutchfield's "Shop Products that fit your Chevrolet Camaro" page, under All Car Stereo's, "Read before you buy" for a 99 Camaro even says.

"Installation Notes
You'll need to cut out the plastic rear support bracket to make room for your new receiver."
thanks a lot this is what I was looking for I new I needed the universal single din support thing or whatever, but I was wondering if I needed to cut anything out. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: New Headunit