Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

PAC SWI-RC programming

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PAC SWI-RC programming

Finally got my double DIN installed last weekend! I also tried installing the SWI-RC with it to keep my steering wheel controls running, but I can't get past the programming stage. I've searched google for days with no luck. Can anyone tell me the right settings on the PAC for the 4th gen f bodies? I've found out so far that I hooked it up wrong the first time through because I spliced the factory blue wire to the orange wire on the PAC. I changed it today to splicing the blue wire to the adapter's green wire, but when I go to program the buttons, it doesn't detect any input. Here's what I have so far. The instructions only have a 1989 firebird listed (mine is a 2002), and it said to set the radio type to 2 and use mode 7. So I have the dial selector to 2, and I have pressed the program button until it gets to mode 7. LED blinks 7 times to confirm. But then you go to hold the button down and then start establishing what buttons on the steering wheel are assigned to what functions, and it doesn't respond or pick up any input. I'm pretty sure then that the settings I have are incorrect.
Anybody know what settings you had success with? I'm digging into this again Friday and Saturday as I will be installing my new Alpine PDX-V9 amp Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-23-2014, 07:40 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Go back to the PAC site at pac-audio.com/SWI, click on the SWI Programming Guide link and choose "Pontiac" and then "All Other Vehicles" (instead of Firebird). Continue with the rest of the selections and you will get instructions that match your car. All 98-02 f-bodies had the same 21-pin connector so those generic instructions will work.

You didn't say what make of head unit you installed... setting the dial to #2 is for JVC. If you have a Kenwood it should be set to #3, Alpine to #1, Pioneer and Sony to #7.

However, don't be surprised if you still have difficulty. It is quite possible you fried something in the adapter because your first attempt with the connection of the dark blue wire to the orange wire sent 12V power through a wire that was designed for low voltage serial data.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, WhiteBird! You've done it again! Thanks to your tip, I just got it working and now it is responding to the programming sequence. I really didn't think to just use the generic Pontiac/GM option on their site, I kept looking to at least specify that it was a firebird. Yes, I am actually using a JVC head unit. I don't remember specifically matching up the radio type 2 to JVC, but that makes sense now. It did kinda worry me when you mentioned hooking up to the wrong wire on the PAC could've fried something, but it seems as though the device is still completely stable. This definitely made my day to get this going, now I can keep moving forward with getting this project finished up! Now off to modifying that bezel....

Quick Reply: PAC SWI-RC programming