Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need help with 8" Kicker Comp

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 11:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with 8" Kicker Comp

I had two 8" Kickers laying in my garage for about 5yrs from a previous system. About two months ago I built a stealth box on the driver's sided and added one of them to my monsoon system for a little extra bass. It doesn't rattle your teeth out, but I think it complimented the stock monsoon pretty good. It was perfect for my taste. Anyways I noticed that it hasn't been sounding as good as it did when I installed it. After inspecting it, I noticed that all the squishy material that attaches the cone to the frame is torn all to hell. I am assuming that it dryrotted from sitting, and after running it pretty hard in a sealed box, it blew it to pieces.

I realize if I stick the other one in there, it will probably do the same thing. I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to postpone the inevitable. I am thinking that a thin layer of silicone around the undamaged one might keep that material from ripping. Should I do that or is there a compound that is made for repairing/reinforcing this stuff.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-10-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

those speakers new are cheap on e bay if the other one does blow....if you must have that one u can redo the surround