Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

A little help wiring guages

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default A little help wiring guages

Ok I got most of it figured out but i am wiring up guages that use 3 power sourcees and a ground, they use 12v constant, 12v switched, 12v headlamp for dimming and a ground. I got the ground and 12 switched figured out.

I was told any ORANGE wire is 12 CONSTANT is this true? i still need to figure out where to put that one.

Also where can I tap into a 12v Headlamp wire for dimming the guages?
Old 02-09-2014, 06:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Oddly enough, there is a thread on the same page discussing this very subject: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...tion-wire.html.

In general, GM uses orange for battery constant power but you should always double check with a test light or multimeter. Illumination wiring is mostly brown for parking/running lights (i.e. on with the lights otherwise off) and grey for the variable voltage dimmer power used by the instrument panel. Again, always best to test before connecting.

The safest place to get switched and unswitched power is from the extra ports in the fuse panel that are specifically designated for accessory installation.

Quick Reply: A little help wiring guages