Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Fuse keeps blowing!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse keeps blowing!?

Ok I just bought a 99 Trans Am which needed a passenger side head assembly. I replace the whole thing and put in a new motor! Now it wont stop blowing the fuse for the gas gauge and the odometer. Could it be that the owner before me had the blue head lights in it and the drive side is still that type. The one I replaced is the factory old style. please help this is driving me nuts
Old 03-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Moving to electrical. You may also want to check out the Hybrids and Conversions section for folks who are switching out engines.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:19 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I am confused as to what an engine replacement has to do with blue headlights but if you suspect the headlight it's easy enough to test - unplug it and see if the fuse still blows.

Otherwise, the GAUGES fuse is unrelated to anything that would normally be done during either an engine swap or a headlight replacement. Have there been any other electrical modifications done recently?
Old 03-03-2014, 02:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think he means the motor for the head lights, but I could be wrong.

If a fuse is blowing then the circuit is over loaded or there is a short.

You should start by checking to see if anything was added to that circuit. When people are adding aftermarket things to cars they frequently tap into a circuit without checking to see what the circuit is. If the aftermarket item is removed, which is frequently the case when a car is sold, the wiring is left behind and not properly secured.

Do a through inspection if you harnesses. Check for splices, wads of tape, butt connectors, non factory loom, disconnected wires, or stripped (scuffed) insulation. If you do not fine any of those items then unplug the harnesses between the fuse and the sending unit. Plug them in one at a time. If the fuse blows you know what section to start checking. If it doesn't the do the same for the odometer.

It's possible that replacing the headlight moved a harness or pulled a wire that is causing this problem and it is not related to the headlight.

Good luck.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 127 Likes on 86 Posts

Does it blow right when you plug a replacement fuse in? If so, you can save yourself the headache of replacing fuse after fuse while troubleshooting. Remove the fuse, one blade goes to 12v power and the other blade to the load(s). That side is most likely showing 0 to very low resistance to ground. While troubleshooting, put your meter on ohms and one lead to the blade that goes to the load(s) and the other lead to ground. You'll know you found the problems when you start showing some resistance .... make sense?
Old 03-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Sorry guys for the delay. yes I replaced the headlight motor, sorry for the mix up. I don't know anything bout wiring! I did change out the headlight the fuse still blows! It doesn't blow right away sometimes it will not blow for a few trips to the store, some times it blows as soon as u go to start the car. Its the fuse for the gas gauge, dash lights, traction control
Old 03-26-2014, 10:29 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Is the headlight motor on the fuse? One of my latest motors was delivered with the wiring backwards. You might check the wires and connectors to make sure the correct wires are in the correct positions of the plug attached to your motor.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply

no its the speedo, stereo, dash lights, fuel gauge, the headlight isn't on it!
Old 03-27-2014, 11:27 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Can you be more specific? Each of the fuses is labeled... which one is blowing?

If your labeling is missing, here is the fuse panel layout:
Old 03-27-2014, 04:28 PM
Teching In

the 15 amp in the second roll ....pwr accy....

thanks for the help
Old 03-27-2014, 04:52 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Okay, the PWR ACCY fuse supplies the following:
- parking lamp relay for the alarm system (if equipped)
- remote hatch release
- power mirrors
- shock sensor for alarm system (if equipped)
- radio battery backup (for clock, station presets, etc.)
- security indicator light in the instrument cluster
- DLC (class 2 serial data link connector)

The last one is what explains your gauges. They aren't powered through that fuse (they are powered through the GAUGES fuse) but the data they display comes through the DLC.

So, looking at that list, is there anywhere that you may have been making changes? A new aftermarket head unit perhaps? Tail light work near the hatch release? Anything similar? Usually these kinds of problems don't just happen randomly and are related to something else that happened on the car.
Old 03-27-2014, 04:58 PM
Teching In

Only thing I did was install a new headlight motor, however the guy I bought it from had an amp and a sub in the back before I bought it. But the fuse didn't start to blow till I replaced the headlight motor. But I hadn't drove it much prior to headlight motor replacement.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:46 PM
Teching In

Well I put a new fuse in and left the radio off it doesn't blow! FYI it is a aftermarket Kenwood unit! But when I turn the radio on it blows the fuse! Any ideas from this info? THANKS FOR YOU HELP

Quick Reply: Fuse keeps blowing!?