Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

driver side speaker doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 07:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driver side speaker doesn't work

Hey guys i recently purchased a 1999 trans am. One of the previous owners seems to have replaced the monsoon system and speakers with aftermarket. I do not know the details of the system much its self. I am not a big stero nut by any means but it really peeves me when one speaker doesn't work haha, i had the same issue on my camaro but wasn't concerned with it since i enjoyed the sound of the longtubes more anyways.

I took off the speaker cover just to make sure there was no sound by lightly touching the speaker with the stereo on, and nothing. I noticed there was a little box wired up tot he speaker and was curious if this was like a transmitter amp like on the bose system? Could one of these going bad cause the speaker to go bad, anybody have any idea what it is?

I can try and get any information people need, with spring coming though i'm trying to compile my list of things to do on this car to get it up to my standard and this is just one of those things.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it's about the size of your palm and has 3 pairs of speakers wires connected to it, it's probably a crossover module for aftermarket component speakers.

Basically, it separates high and low frequencies for the main cone and the tweeter better than a simple first order RC filter that most cheaper 2-way speakers use, but at the expense of efficiency. So most people on the forum will advise not using them and just sticking with the factory RC "blister" on the tweeter wire unless you have a more powerful amp than the OEM one. Whatever you do, don't run it with the factory blister simultaneously. ...Won't hurt anything, but won't sound right.

Anyways, if the other door speaker is working okay, it's probably not the issue, and cone is probably blown or you have a faulty connection. If it has been bouncing around inside the door panel every time you open and close it, something could be loose.
Old 03-05-2014, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

the actual speaker hasn't just the little box with 3 speakers that you spoke of, the crossover module. Guess i'll have to take the oor panel off to get a better look i suppose.

Quick Reply: driver side speaker doesn't work