Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

temporary double din mounting system

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default temporary double din mounting system

So when I ordered my mounts and double din bezel from DoubleDmods.com I didn't realize there was a 2 month lead time, lol. With that said I had already wired in my new system but had no way to mount it. So....I did what any other impatient ***hole would do and made a compromise until my new bezel arrives. 1/16" thick aluminum plate that I bent into L brackets than drilled holes at the appropriate locations. It is ugly but it works, and yes I realize I didn't take into consideration the holes for the bezel to mount into. However, I paid 6 bucks at home depot for a huge stick of the aluminum so I can tweak and make new ones that fit a little better. Still, the stereo is nice and solid in there. Thought some folks might appreciate a jerry rigging operation such as this.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's going to look real nice once everything is finished.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question

I just bought a Pioneer HU. When I took out the Monsoon I didn't remove the HVAC panel (yet). Haven't tried to install the HU yet, but notice that you have adjusted the location of the HVAC control panel. Is this something that is required to go from 1.5Din to 2Din? I was thinking there was enough space vertically to fit the unit. Can you enlighten? Was this to lower the panel in order to allow for less interference at the top of the bezel? Thx
Old 04-06-2014, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

It may just be how it looks in the pic but I actually didn't have to move the hvac at all. The only issue I ran into was the plastic tray that the original stereo sits in wad in the way. I had to remove some of it to allow the stereo to slide in. However, from all the research I did before the install my situation was sort of unique, most people don't actually have to modify the tray at all. GL with your install, it was pretty simple for the most part.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

lol I did the exact same thing, except I had a single din flip out. Installed the HU thinking the faceplate from HUmount would arrive shortly. Realized I still had a month until it would ship. I didn't secure it so whenever I went WOT the radio would slide out and hit the shifter

It's actually a pretty good way to prevent you from driving fast...
Old 04-07-2014, 08:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

I also had to remove the tray to get mine to fit.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by M4N14C
lol I did the exact same thing, except I had a single din flip out. Installed the HU thinking the faceplate from HUmount would arrive shortly. Realized I still had a month until it would ship. I didn't secure it so whenever I went WOT the radio would slide out and hit the shifter

It's actually a pretty good way to prevent you from driving fast...
The stereo flying out at wot is the reason the braces came into existence to be honest, lol.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

I had to remove my tray as well. But I got my bezel in 2 days hehe
Old 04-09-2014, 09:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ENASNI TILLER
I had to remove my tray as well. But I got my bezel in 2 days hehe
Lucky I had to wait two months.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

queation, what does it look like with out modding the bezel?

i really want a double din, but i dont want to moddify the stock bezel mainly because my car is a 35th LE car and i want to keep all the stock parts incase i decide to put it back.

so, is there any other options for filling the space on the sides? maybe a piece of sheet metal bent and painted black and bolted in that could be removed?

sorry im a cheap ***, so im not looking to spend a whole lot of money, i would just love to be able to stream music form my android phone via bluetooth to the radio in the car.

any help would be great

oh, sorry for about the thread jack.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:24 AM

Default Bezel Modification

I just completed the bezel modification, cutting back top and bottom to a total height of 4 inches to clear the double din unit. This was done by eye and steady hand using a Dremmel cutter tool. I didn't need to remove the tray, just the mounting lug integral to the back of the tray so it slid back. It's all together now and functioning to include steering wheel controls. The only thing left to do now is close up the open sides of the bezel...they still need to be filled in...followed by paint. So what are people using to fill this in? Is "bondo" the preferred alternative or is there another forming material that is recommended which bonds well to the plastic bezel and is "sandable" after it cures? This is my last hurdle. In terms of chopping the bezel...I think it is no big worry because you can always purchase a replacement if you plan to convert back. I kept all the old Monsoon parts for the same reason...but I don't see my self ever going back.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by i'm sofa king
queation, what does it look like with out modding the bezel?

i really want a double din, but i dont want to moddify the stock bezel mainly because my car is a 35th LE car and i want to keep all the stock parts incase i decide to put it back.

so, is there any other options for filling the space on the sides? maybe a piece of sheet metal bent and painted black and bolted in that could be removed?

sorry im a cheap ***, so im not looking to spend a whole lot of money, i would just love to be able to stream music form my android phone via bluetooth to the radio in the car.

any help would be great

oh, sorry for about the thread jack.
you could buy a second bezel, mod it, and pull the orig and replace it with the modded. That way, you still got the orig incase you wanna switch. Just a suggestion.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Still waiting on my bezel......I guess perfection takes time.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NightwalkerLS1
Still waiting on my bezel......I guess perfection takes time.
I'd be making a phone call.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine took a month from ordering to delivery. If it's taking someone 2+ months to manufacture a small piece of plastic I'd be making MANY phone calls....
Old 05-22-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dennis does them all by hand. I do think that he sells the aftermarket ones painted the correct color now for $60
Old 05-22-2014, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

There was some phone calls to doubledmods you can be sure of that, along with some emails. I wanted the thing in my hands before the fbody gathering here in atlanta this weekend. I ordered the thing on March 16th. He finally shipped the thing yesterday. As soon as i saw the projected Saturday delivery i was instantly pissed. It has been almost 10 weeks and I was assured it would be to me on time, yeah not so much. I may get it tomorrow but only because I contacted fedex and paid more money to get it to me a day sooner by having it delivered to my office. Needless to say I do not know if I will do business with doubledmods again. If I had known he was that far behind I could have ordered a different one off of eBay and than sold one or the other later. I will give Dennis credit he is a nice guy but I was expecting to be heading to the event grounds early and now I am going to have to wait on this thing and that is only if fedex actually follows through with what I paid extra for.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah that was part of the reason i made my own bezel. I didn't want the wait time. When i've gotten stuff from him before he was always good to deal with. He has an amazing track record with the Vette crew
Old 05-28-2014, 12:56 PM
Staging Lane

I ordered mine off of ebay. It was perfect and I got it within 2 days.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:17 PM

When modifying the bezel, what material do you use to fill in the opening on the sides. I was able to do a good job on cutting out top and bottom of the stock bezel for a Double Din, but need to fill in the sides and paint. Just don't know what material I can use to fill in the open sides of the bezel...any suggestions?

Quick Reply: temporary double din mounting system