Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sub Rattling Trim Pieces...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Default Sub Rattling Trim Pieces...

Installed a stealth sub good while ago and whenever I have my music good and loud, when the bass drops, it sounds like the plastic trim pieces in the back are about to shake themselves loose. Don't know if this is from the frequency of the sub or the physical sub moving around (nothing holding it in place apart from the plastic trim piece). I have a feeling it's the latter because the majority of the rattling is coming from the left side of the car, where the sub is.

Any solutions?
Old 03-27-2014, 01:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is why I've never been into high bass audio systems. They destroy cars.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:30 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Park the car, turn up the volume, open the hatch and press on various panels to determine which are rattling. Once you know which panel(s), check a little closer to see what area is rattling and what it is rattling against (i.e. where it contacts the stealth box or maybe at the top edge where it goes under the weatherstrip). Then you should be able to stuff small pieces of foam into the areas that make contact to dampen the vibrations.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Park the car, turn up the volume, open the hatch and press on various panels to determine which are rattling. Once you know which panel(s), check a little closer to see what area is rattling and what it is rattling against (i.e. where it contacts the stealth box or maybe at the top edge where it goes under the weatherstrip). Then you should be able to stuff small pieces of foam into the areas that make contact to dampen the vibrations.
This is exactly what I'd be doing; also might want to add some mass-additive material to the inside of the panel (Dynamat is one brand)
Old 03-28-2014, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M4N14C
Installed a stealth sub good while ago and whenever I have my music good and loud, when the bass drops, it sounds like the plastic trim pieces in the back are about to shake themselves loose. Don't know if this is from the frequency of the sub or the physical sub moving around (nothing holding it in place apart from the plastic trim piece). I have a feeling it's the latter because the majority of the rattling is coming from the left side of the car, where the sub is.

Any solutions?
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I have the same problem. My issue is that when I open the hatch, the vibration is dispersed and doesn't rattle any of the interior panels. The only thing I've been able to think of is to play the system with the hatch closed, flip the rear seat down and crawl in the back and just start listening around.

The difference here is that I have a W7 in the t-top well. So I know it's rattling SOMETHING, but the amount of vibration coming out makes it tough to tell if its actually a panel or something deeper. I do know it's not rattling anything from direct contact because the box isn't in contact with anything. But it literally rattles the whole car. It's even broken my high-rise spoiler. It's started separating the top piece from the bottom lol

Quick Reply: Sub Rattling Trim Pieces...