Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

How to tell if the car has keyless entry?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 03:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell if the car has keyless entry?

Hey guys I recently purchased a 2000 Firebird Formula and have a quick question. When I bought it the guy who previously owned it didn't have a key fob and wasn't sure if the car was even equipped with keyless entry/alarm. Unfortunately the original owner (a few people behind him) had removed the door stick on the driver's side and he did not have window sticker or options list exactly, however the car does have power locks and windows. If anyone could offer a suggestion on how to tell if there's keyless entry and just missing a fob it would be great appreciated! Thanks
Old 03-29-2014, 05:01 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Without the option code sticker (option AU0 for keyless entry) it might be difficult to determine. If you have the factory alarm system (option UA6) you will have a red LED on the top of the dash next to the defroster vent and you must have keyless entry because it was included with the alarm.

You should be able to go through the steps to program a key fob and see if the car responds as it should...
- Turn the key to RUN and then OFF to disarm the alarm if equipped
- Remove the RADIO fuse
- Turn the key from OFF to RUN three times quickly (within 5 seconds) and then leave in the RUN position. The car should lock all doors, unlock the driver's door and release the hatch. That would make it ready to program key fobs. If it doesn't respond that way then you don't have keyless entry.
- Replace the RADIO fuse and turn the key OFF
Old 03-29-2014, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

go to local dealer with VIN and ask for a printout of the RPOs
some will be nice enuf to do that for you.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:32 AM
TECH Regular

I don't know if it still works, but can he go to http://www.compnine.com and enter his VIN and a list should come up as to what his car was optioned with. Just a thought. And if that doesn't work, he could I guess go to the dealer. And Whitebird is correct, when I bought my 2000 from a small used car lot, it didn't have the remotes either, so I bought 2 remotes off of eBay, followed the programming that Whitebird laid out and now I have 2 remotes. But please check that your car can do that before you buy the remotes, I did it without checking and just by sheer luck it worked.
Oh and BTW, I think it costs like $5 to get 5 reports off of compnine, but if you choose not to buy one it will still tell you how many options your car came with, and also tell you the day your car was built(At least it did for me). Mine is Tuesday December 14, 1999.

Last edited by blue09rocket; 03-30-2014 at 06:49 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Send me the VIN via PM and I will have my buddy at GM run the option list tomorrow morning
Old 03-30-2014, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You could always look for the sensitivity box in the spare tire area.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by _JB_
You could always look for the sensitivity box in the spare tire area.
Not exactly. The shock sensor in the right rear quarter is part of the alarm system not keyless entry (you can have keyless entry without the alarm). And it's much easier to check for the alarm system by looking at the dash for the red LED.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Not exactly. The shock sensor in the right rear quarter is part of the alarm system not keyless entry (you can have keyless entry without the alarm). And it's much easier to check for the alarm system by looking at the dash for the red LED.
Ah I thought they were the same. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by _JB_
Ah I thought they were the same. Thanks for the info.
I have a 97 with keyless and no alarm
Im second owner and asked the first why he ordered the car that way...
He said he thought aftermarket alarms were better and had a viper system installed with a proximity sensor inside.
When armed you cant even stick your hand inside the car(its a convertible)
Yea it sux that compnine is charging now,I used the heck out of it for years.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2002 with a working alarm with a (stock?) led on the dash, and a worn OE looking fob, but no UA6 code. Nor do I have AUO code, but I spotted an unbranded keyless entry module and wiring under the dash.
Everything works, but isn't it odd that a car could have a factory alarm, but not keyless entry?
Not every option put on the car makes it to the Service Parts ID sticker?
I guess I have an aftermarket module compatible with GM fobs.
Can anyone ID this module??? Thanks!

Old 10-18-2015, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Hah! I can answer one of my own questions. I swear I looked up the number before, but got nothing.
It appears to be a Silencer 6905P-2 (one of Magnadyne brands) alarm. Sold exclusively to new car dealers as a "Lot Protection Alarm". I'm guessing if you have a bunch of cars with this system on it, you can arm all their alarms at once, instead of running around with umpteen remotes on a big ring at closing time.
I think if I removed this thing, nothing would change. It piggybacks on the factory alarm. I think I have factory alarm and keyless entry, even if the SPI sticker doesn't list them.
I could be wrong and still welcome comments. Thanks
Old 10-19-2015, 06:46 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The definitive way to determine the keyless entry or factory alarm capabilities installed in your car is to put it in programming mode...

Originally Posted by Owner's manual
PROGRAMMING THE FACTORY ALARM

ENTERING PROGRAMMING MODE

To program features, the car must be in programming mode.

1) Turn key to RUN position.
2) Turn key to OFF position.
3) Remove the RADIO fuse in the main fuse panel.
4) Turn the key to ACC

You should hear a chime to verify that the system is in the programming mode.
1 chime means you can program Exit Lighting, Delayed Illumination, Last Door Closed Locking and Lock Out.
2 chimes means your car is equipped with Content Theft-Deterrent System so you can also program Remote Keyless Entry Verification, Arming Method, Arming Verification, Driver's Door Delay and Shock Sensor Enable.

LEAVING PROGRAM MODE
When programming is done, turn the ignition to OFF and replace the RADIO fuse.
1 chime is standard keyless entry, 2 chimes is the factory alarm system. You can also remove the right quarter interior trim panel and check for the factory shock sensor in front of the spare tire.
Old 10-19-2015, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Thank you, sir. Good info there. I did see a shock seneor in the trunk. Looks just like one Magnadyne has on website. They may be OEM supplier, who knows?
When I get my second fob, will go thru the whole pgrm. procedure.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:45 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

You don't need a fob to run the programming check... just a working ignition key.

BTW, there's a photo of the factory shock sensor in the Monsoon FAQ sticky if you want to compare with what you found.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 10-20-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 02:16 PM
On The Tree

Ok, thanks.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:56 AM

Default Hi

Originally Posted by hardbones
Send me the VIN via PM and I will have my buddy at GM run the option list tomorrow morning
I have Camaro 3.8 V6 M-Year 2000 and i hav the same Q can you help? Thank you
​​​​​​​vin 2G1FP22K9Y2100973

Quick Reply: How to tell if the car has keyless entry?