Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Headlight turn signal Combo

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight turn signal Combo

OK,

So i cant seem to find a bulb that can double as a low beam headlight and turn signal. An led bulb seems to be the answer but I dont know how to wire it into my car.

Also I cant seem to find one that is actually suitable to use as a low beam headlight.

I want to do this as I have shaved the turn signal openings on a new bumper for my car.

I am fairly good at wiring and can read a wiring diagram the issue is how to:

1: How to get the White of a suitable led bulb to be on solid, while getting the yellow to flash(turn signal on at night)
2: Getting the yellow to flash without the white on at all(day driving)

I considered using a standard headlight, putting a circle ring with tabs and wiring the run up into the housing that hold a standard turn signal bulb on the tips of the tabs. The oem headlight would hold the circle and tabs into the housing.

That way I would run wire extension up to the ring making things extremely simple. I just worry the little yellow bulbs being that close to the headlight along with the wiring getting melted or burned.

Idk im open to ideas.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:27 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You aren't going to find a drop-in LED that will be suitable to replace the stock halogen headlight bulbs. The aftermarket drop-ins aren't bright enough nor are they positioned correctly to properly use the headlight reflector.

An alternative would be to find a way to mount a custom turn signal inside the headlight housing. However, they probably won't be visible when the headlights are on since the headlight will drown them out. Unless you mount it close to the high beam spot. Then it may be somewhat visible with only the low beam on, but will still be washed out when the high beam is on.

An alternative would be to mount a bi-xenon HID projector in the low beam spot (for low and high beam operation in a single projector) and put an amber drop-in LED in the high beam spot wired to the turn signal circuit. If you go that route, make sure to do the wire mod to keep the highs on with the lows, otherwise switching to high beam will kill the lights since the low beam will power the bulb and the high beam will flip the cut-off shield in the projector.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:13 PM
Launching!

I started searching for dual filament bulbs and also the bi-xenon hid projectors and stumble on this:

(non-sponsor link deleted)

its a strip of light that isnt a bunch of leds on a string. I think I may just run that along the bottom of the headlight as that would be easy and should work.

I wanted that all along just only found really ricey looking led strips that were super cheap and not very bright.

(i wouldnt buy it from that site but those are what I need and thankfully are made)

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 03-30-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:52 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Hopefully that LED strip is bright enough for daytime use. Those pics are not in sunlight. The other concern is visibility against the headlights when they are on.

Regarding Dual Filament bulbs, you aren't going to find any in a 9006 size. Also, that low beam reflector can't produce an actual high beam pattern so that would be useless even if you were to hack in a dual filament bulb.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by VIP1
Hopefully that LED strip is bright enough for daytime use. Those pics are not in sunlight. The other concern is visibility against the headlights when they are on.

Regarding Dual Filament bulbs, you aren't going to find any in a 9006 size. Also, that low beam reflector can't produce an actual high beam pattern so that would be useless even if you were to hack in a dual filament bulb.
I never thought this would be the hard part of shaving the turn signals lol, I didnt think it would be an easy project but man this is alot of stuff to think about.

In the state of florida though as long as in day time the turn signal can be seen 100 feet away its good. So legally those light tubes would probably be good enough. Putting anything is mostly for legalities.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:09 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by silent_soul
Putting anything is mostly for legalities.
Any safety. What, you don't like other drivers knowing you intend to turn or change lanes?
Old 03-30-2014, 07:18 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Hopefully that LED strip is bright enough for daytime use. Those pics are not in sunlight.
Those look like ricer accent pieces and definitely aren't functional DOT lights.

The other concern is visibility against the headlights when they are on.
I think this sums it up pretty well. Pursuing this idea is just a fast track to the Darwin Awards ceremony. There needs to be some separation in order for them to be visible.

I can't
Old 03-30-2014, 08:38 AM
Launching!

Any safety. What, you don't like other drivers knowing you intend to turn or change lanes?
I live in florida, I never see anyone use a blinker, unless they have come to a stop asking to merge into a offramp lane that is backed up(asking to cause a pile up). I honest to god almost get hit by someone merging into my lane with no blinker most mornings.

I need something that will work, and be technically legal. I forget how anything beyond the norm is so taboo on this forum

Ill keep looking and figure it out, since I am going to do this telling me basically I cant isnt of interest to me as it will happen.

Ill look more into those bi-xenon HID projector more.

edit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-TUBE-Style-White-Amber-Switchback-Headlight-LED-Strip-DRL-Daytime-Light-NEW-/251415495529?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a89880369&vxp=mtr
found these "daytime" ones, I may jump on a set if I dont find anything better. I want to run it outside the headlight incase they die. I dont wanna have to bake and remove if these things crap out on the regular.

Last edited by silent_soul; 03-30-2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:52 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by silent_soul
I forget how anything beyond the norm is so taboo on this forum
That is such a cop-out. No where did I say not to do this because it is not the norm. I'm trying to help. Its not my problem that you disagree with physics.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:34 PM
Launching!

I sent you a PM on what you may be looking for
Old 03-30-2014, 01:59 PM
Launching!

That is such a cop-out. No where did I say not to do this because it is not the norm. I'm trying to help. Its not my problem that you disagree with physics.
Its not a cop out, im not looking to argue. Im just tired of people saying it isnt possible instead of suggesting ideas. If the blinker cant be inside the same bucket as the low beams thats fine. saves me time.

I am no expert on headlights and I dont think im an expert on anything really. I asked in here to try and find a solution.

thanks for helping me eliminate a potential waste of my time with the blinker and headlight in one.

I think I may have to add a bulb on the outside edge of each bucket to make this work. adding a 3rd bulb spot to the headlight assembly.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:46 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I'm not saying putting the turn signal into the headlight housing isn't possible. I'm just saying that it may not be the most visible and I provided suggestions.

There are a few good options posted above.

1.) Mount a new Amber LED fixture in the headlight housing separate from the low beam and high beam buckets. Either a single spot or multiple or something more creative
2.) Mount an Amber LED strip in the headlight housing. Either just a strip along the bottom or follow the outer line of the housing or something else creative
3.) Install bi-xenon HID projector into either the low beam or high beam spot and convert the other bucket into a turn signal using a drop-in Amber LED. Don't forget the wire mod to keep high and low on together.
4.) Dual projector look.... bi-xenon HID projector in either the low or high beam spot and another similar looking projector in the other bucket with a drop-in amber LED.
5.) Separate low & high beam projectors and Amber LEDs reflect on the remaining visible area of both low/high buckets.

I'm not saying any of those are the best or only options, but they are ideas to help get you going.

Either way, stick with a really bright Amber LED or incandescent bulb to help with visibility against the headlight bulbs when they are on. Also, the further away from the headlight bulb the better.

The problem with most of those suggestions is off-angle visibility and visibility against the headlights when they are on.

Last edited by VIP1; 03-30-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:54 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Here is a pic of the stock housing for reference:

The only places I can see too add an Amber LED turn signal would be the "D" shaped flat spot on the other edge of the headlight housing and the top/bottom triangles between the low/high buckets.

Unfortunately, neither may be noticeable enough when the headlights are on. Its someplace to start looking though.

BLS (a sponsor) may be able to work something out with you.

Last edited by VIP1; 03-30-2014 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:18 AM
Launching!

I know my last reply was rather vague but so we are on the same page Im talking of drilling a opening where the red area is painted on the headlight that the red arrow is pointing to.

I really dont want to cut my brand new depo headlights and dont really wanna bake them either. Cause if anything goes wrong I really dont wanna deal with that.
Attached Thumbnails Headlight turn signal Combo-20584500.jpg  
Old 03-31-2014, 11:09 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

That's the "D" shaped area I was talking about. You could drill a series of holes and glue in a bunch of Amber LEDs there, but if you don't remove the outer lens, you'd have to be very careful of drill depth and you might end up with burrs that you can't remove. Also, just putting LEDs there might not be enough, especially when the low beam headlight it on.

Something like how this taillight was done, but with more LEDs closer together for that smaller area:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...ghts-leds.html

Last edited by VIP1; 03-31-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Im considering buying a set of triangle motorcycle turn signals. Spraying nightshade on them to turn them almost black when off.

If im lucky maybe just cut slowly from the back idk I really dont want to bake open the lens's but I think I will have to

Quick Reply: Headlight turn signal Combo