Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Cheaper, alternative OEM power antenna

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cheaper, alternative OEM power antenna

I had a power antenna from a Trans-Am in my old 1995 Camaro and loved the way it cleaned up the look of the car.

When I bought my 99 Camaro SS I started looking around for a power antenna to put on it. The local junkyard was a bust for Trans-Ams and antennas from the dealer or Ebay were outrageously priced.

By chance, I had a 1990 Olds Cutlass SL come in to my work with a power antenna that had a messed up mast. We replaced the antenna with an aftermarket one and I asked if I could keep to old one to mess around with since the motor was still good.
To my delight, with a tiny bit of bracket fabrication, it fits the SS perfectly. I bought a $27 replacement black mast off Ebay and now have a perfectly functional OEM power antenna.

I looked around on Ebay and OEM take out antennas for Oldsmobiles are going in the neighborhood of $40-$60. Much less than the Trans-Am antennas. Plus I'm sure most salvage yards are FULL of wrecked Oldsmobiles.

The antenna I got looks exactly like this one: (1990 -1991 Cutlass Supreme Power Antenna Antenna Motor w/ Mast)

Just thought I'd share.

Last edited by wssix99; 04-08-2014 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Replaced ebay link with static picture
Old 04-08-2014, 04:49 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Do you have any pictures of the antenna on the car?
Old 04-09-2014, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Autozone has one for a 2002 firebird for $70.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blade2222
Autozone has one for a 2002 firebird for $70.
Yes, they carry the Metra brand aftermarket antenna, which from my years as a car audio installer, is a perfectly functional antenna. The downside is that they never really fit perfectly, they look pretty clunky on the fender and they only come in chrome.

I prefer the OEM look whenever possible, especially on my own vehicles. Since I got the antenna assembly for free and the new black mast was only $27, I think this turned out very nicely for about an hours worth of work.

Here are a couple of pics of how the Olds antenna turned out:

Mast down:

Mast up:

Tucked behind amp & changer:

Old 04-10-2014, 06:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

I have to admit that does look good.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:21 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It looks perfect stock. Were there any noticeable differences between the Olds antenna and the old part? Were the differences only bracketry?
Old 04-10-2014, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

The antenna that came out of my SS was a non-power, fixed mast antenna, so I can't compare to that one.

From just a quick visual comparo of what this one looks like vs. the images of Trans-Am antennas I've seen online, it seems the only obvious difference is the mounting bracket, which is pretty easy to work around.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tophatjimmy
Yes, they carry the Metra brand aftermarket antenna, which from my years as a car audio installer, is a perfectly functional antenna. The downside is that they never really fit perfectly, they look pretty clunky on the fender and they only come in chrome.

I prefer the OEM look whenever possible, especially on my own vehicles. Since I got the antenna assembly for free and the new black mast was only $27, I think this turned out very nicely for about an hours worth of work.

Here are a couple of pics of how the Olds antenna turned out:

Mast down:

Mast up:

Tucked behind amp & changer:

That's an incredibly clean install you have there. It makes me jealous after the mess I've found in my new car.

Quick Reply: Cheaper, alternative OEM power antenna