Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Driver side window motor problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 02:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Driver side window motor problems

First off, I have a 1998 Camaro v6. I bought the car two years ago. The window motor on the drivers side was bad so I replaced it right after I bought the car (motor didn't work at all).

Now fast forward to summer of last year in August, and my motor stops working correctly. It would roll up and down but not without some banging on the door or a little encouragement from my hand pulling it up or pushing it down. I just left it alone throughout the winter. Some days it would work perfectly but it was slowly getting worse.

Now in the beginning of March I replaced the motor again. This didn't fix the problem. I have now also replaced the switch. The passenger side will work fine from the switch on the drivers side.

The window will make a buzzing sound of sorts if it is rolled all the way down or up, sort of like the motor is trying to push it up or down more although it has reached it's end. It will also just randomly have its problems like sometimes it works fine but other days it won't work at all.

I read somewhere about the express down module being the cause? But it just seems so strange that I was wondering if someone here had figured this problem out. I'm open ears to any solutions. I was going to wire the motor and bypass the module altogether but I want to see what everyone things before I do it.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:29 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

From my personal past experience and other threads on this site, I'd say the highest probability is that your "new" motor is actually a reman dud. (It sounds like the last motor was, also.) Dorman sells and updated design and there are some other companies out there that offer 100% new motors, which people seem to have more success with.

You can jump the express down module and take it out of the equation to confirm if its part of the problem, or not.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the motors that I have swapped out are Dorman lol. But the motor works fine if you hook it up to another switch -_- sorry I meant to put that in there
Old 04-08-2014, 10:21 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

The new motors you put in were Dormans?

There are several failure modes for the motors. One is a thermal resistor failure. (The part that cuts off the motor when it hits the limit of motion.) If that resistor is bad, then the motor will be fine by itself but will cut off early when exposed to even small loads.

Quick Reply: Driver side window motor problems