Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speakers gone bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speakers gone bad?

I recently purchased a 96 z28 convertible and started to do small things to it. The previous owner had an older aftermarket head unit in it so I decided to slap a new Sony in there. It's power output is 17 watts rms x 4 at 4 ohms. I noticed that the speakers just didn't have a lot of bass to them. (They were the same with the other head unit as well) The highs and mid sound clear and loud, but they just sound flat. If I turn the volume up, no cracking so I don't think they are blown. No matter how much I adjust the settings on the deck, I can't get it right. Now, I do think they are the 4 original speakers so I'm thinking they might be worn? I don't know if the previous owner had subs in there before I bought it or if he messed around too much with the wiring.

Maybe I should stop typing and go get some new 6.5's? Maybe New wiring as well? I don't really want to get a desperate sub or amps or anything, just want a fuller sound.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, you have to realize that 6.5-6.75" speakers aren't going to produce the same amount of bass as a dedicated woofer/subwoofer. Having said that, I'm using Infinity Reference speakers in my car, powered by an older Pioneer HU, and their bass response is pretty good for a 6.75" speaker, but I listen to classic rock, not rap or hip-hop....
Old 04-16-2014, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

well, dig in and see if they are the OEM speakers or not, it's pretty easy to tell, if they are you can inspect them for dry rot while your there, it is very common for the surround on the speaker to deteriorate over the years.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:23 PM
Launching!

Before I wired my new setup in I had some jbls coaxial 6x9 in some black baffle boxes and piggy tailed them off the factory wiring in the very rear of the car they provided sufficent bass and didnt look too bad my 6.5 fosgates put off some decent bass themselves enough for me to wanna use a high pass filter lol

Quick Reply: Speakers gone bad?