Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Key resistor pellet

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 12:15 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key resistor pellet

Alright so just bought a steering column from a 02 ss came with key but no resistor was told I need to find out what resistance my BCM is as there's 14 different pellets how do I check to see also where can I get the resistor?
Old 04-11-2014, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the VIN of the donor car, IIRC dealers can look it up for you. Maybe that database is available somewhere online.

Problem is, I don't know if a dealer will give you a resistor for a VIN from a car you don't own. IIRC when I had a new key cut, they checked to make sure I was the registered owner, but I'm not positive.

Last edited by fruitsalad; 04-11-2014 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:22 AM
Launching!

all this is in a 86 camaro didnt get the vin the bcm came from have bcm number
Old 04-11-2014, 07:16 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Whoever told you that you need to find out the key resistance is a fool for a couple of reasons...

1. The VATS system that checks the key resistance is in the BCM (or the VATS module in earlier models) not the steering column so when you replace a steering column you still need the same resistance as with the old column - just measure your existing key.

and more importantly...

2. An '86 Camaro doesn't have either a BCM or the VATS system that checks the resistance so you don't need a key with a resistor pellet. The VATS system (PASS-key) didn't become standard equipment in Camaros until 1989.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:15 PM
Launching!

My 86 does seeing as how all wiring from headlight to taillight, interior, motor and trans is all 99-02 bought the wiring was from a car that was missing the column so I bought this one. Was told I needed to find the resistance of the for the vats in the bcm. Which if is untrue what do I need to do so tbe car will start? Should I just buy the pellet and bcm out of the same car?
Old 04-11-2014, 01:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Yes, if your wiring is from a late model 4th generation f-body, you will have to figure some way to make VATS work or bypass it.

As mentioned, changing the steering column has no effect on VATS so if you already know the correct resistor for the BCM you have then it won't change.

If you don't know the correct resistance, you have a few options. You can buy a matching BCM and ignition key together if you can find them. There's really only two different BCM models - one with factory alarm and one without. If you don't plan to wire up a factory alarm system, it makes no difference which one you get.

You can buy a brand new BCM. A new BCM programs itself to the first ignition key pellet that it sees so you could use a key with any one of the 14 values and the new BCM will match it. Once programmed, it cannot be changed so there is no way to do this with a used BCM. This is a very expensive option but very simple.

It is impossible to determine the needed resistance directly from the BCM - there is no way to measure it or use a scan tool to find it. However, you can connect everything and then try each of the 14 possible values one-by-one until you find the one that works (that will take a while). Once you've determined the correct resistance value you can either get a key with that resistor and cut it to match the ignition cylinder or you can use the resistor value to do a VATS bypass.

Or you can eliminate VATS. That's more work but it is possible. First, you have to reprogram the PCM to ignore the missing fuel enable signal from the BCM. This is what most people think of when they talk about programming out VATS. But there's more to it... VATS also makes the BCM disable the starter relay and there is no way to program that out. You have to rewire the starter relay so that it doesn't depend on the BCM to ground the relay coil. That still leaves the annoying security light in the instrument cluster but you can eliminate that by cutting the trigger wire at the BCM.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:41 PM
Launching!

Would rather not have the security light on lol be fun to try and explain that to cops. Will probably just try and buy a bcm and pellet thanks for all the help man

Quick Reply: Key resistor pellet