Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Aftermarket Speaker For Sail

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Aftermarket Speaker For Sail

I need something different that I can find locally.
I found a 6.5 subwoofer but for some reason the stock system is not picking them up. I already have 2 12 kickers in the rear. Is there a coaxial speaker I can place in in the sails instead? I have been searching non stop to find the right brand speaker, and well the Kee Audio one is out of my price range at the moment.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what the heck do you mean by "the stock system is not picking them up"? do you mean there is no sound coming from them? are you sure you wired them correctly? Do you still have the stock headunit or have you switched it to aftermarket?

NO, don't put a coaxial there (assuming you are indeed a monsoon car, as you haven't told crap about what you have) Monsoon systems only output low frequency to the sail panel locations so coaxials will only get bass and will sound like crap since they aren't well designed to handle bass
Old 04-17-2014, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Relax a bit bro. You can ask questions without you being so direct. I still have the stock amp in use. I no longer have a stock head unit. From what I read It has to be a 2ohms speaker. I cant seem to find any locally. I did find 2 but its not enough to power them. What can you recommend, any aftermarket brand? could kicker comp vt work?

Ive gotten a few Polk Audio, Infinity, name brands.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 04-18-2014 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 04-17-2014, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.z/28
Relax a bit bro. You can ask questions without you being so direct. I still have the stock amp in use. I no longer have a stock head unit. From what I read It has to be a 2ohms speaker. I cant seem to find any locally. I did find 2 but its not enough to power them. What can you recommend, any aftermarket brand? could kicker comp vt work?
Haha, I have noticed he tends to get a little melodramatic with his posts, I searched everywhere for something and could not find anything, I ended up going with the bazookas from kee audio but my buddy put coaxile in his and it does not sound bad
Old 04-17-2014, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98CayenneT/A
Haha, I have noticed he tends to get a little melodramatic with his posts, I searched everywhere for something and could not find anything, I ended up going with the bazookas from kee audio but my buddy put coaxile in his and it does not sound bad
whats so wrong with being direct and to the point, I don't always have the time to word things "nicely" when I'm working and trying to sneak these answers/questions in.

really anything will work there as far as 2 ohm, 4 ohm, 8 ohm goes but the higher the ohm load the less the output, which is why you want to try to put 2 ohm there if you can find it.

I asked whether there was a stock headunit or aftermarket because some aftermarkets have built-in highpass filter and if the high-pass filter is turned on that will actually prevent MOST of the sound frequencies those speakers play from even being sent to the amp (this has happened to several people on here in the last year).

I have some dirt cheap SSL CP64's (under 40 bucks for the pair level cheap) that are 4-ohm that would probably work decent with the stock amp, but the bazookas are far better suited to the location.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh alright lol its all good just saying, relax your tone a bit you know.
at the moment I have my component speakers in the doors, full range in the hatch. Do you happen to know what kind of Coaxials he is running? Im pretty sure my friend is running coaxials in his 35th and sound amazing. I think im gonna go with Infinity, or if I can find some polk audio or rockford fosgate,
Old 04-17-2014, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
whats so wrong with being direct and to the point, I don't always have the time to word things "nicely" when I'm working and trying to sneak these answers/questions in.

really anything will work there as far as 2 ohm, 4 ohm, 8 ohm goes but the higher the ohm load the less the output, which is why you want to try to put 2 ohm there if you can find it.

I asked whether there was a stock headunit or aftermarket because some aftermarkets have built-in highpass filter and if the high-pass filter is turned on that will actually prevent MOST of the sound frequencies those speakers play from even being sent to the amp (this has happened to several people on here in the last year).

I have some dirt cheap SSL CP64's (under 40 bucks for the pair level cheap) that are 4-ohm that would probably work decent with the stock amp, but the bazookas are far better suited to the location.
Well I did ask nicely as well, and I do apologize if I wasnt to detailed about my post. Im fairly new to sounds even though I have done a few installs in the past, I still dont know whats what though. I came across some Lanzar maxp64 4 ohms subs but the stock amp is not pushing them at all. I did a little search on youtube and apparently you need an actual amp to power those and I dont feel like getting an additional amp. I already have 2 12 kickers in the trunk.
Old 04-17-2014, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

well man, to be honest, these question are something that come up on here A LOT
here are a few recent threads on this subject found by just looking through the thread titles, not even doing a search
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...subwoofer.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-speakers.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...-question.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...p-new-sub.html

the general consensus always seems to come back to the Bazookas as the speakers to use and if you aren't getting sound to the subs with an aftermarket headunit it usually has to do with the HPF being turned on.

I included a thread or 2 on folks looking for cheaper alternatives.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Damn, I feel stupid now. Im gonna see if it makes a difference with the HPF Thanks!

No difference. Im just gonna return them and get my money back. Ill just leave it as is.

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 04-18-2014 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts
Old 04-18-2014, 12:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mr.z/28
No difference. Im just gonna return them and get my money back. Ill just leave it as is.
the monsoon amp filters most of the channels so using the HPF on an aftermarket headunit usually causes more issues then it solves.

with the HPF off are you getting anything at all from the speakers? try taking your hand and putting it against the speaker to see if they are moving at all, if they move but aren't loud enough then that would be a sign of being underpowered.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

They move but yea not enough. Ill just return em. I found youtube videos of them, they require an additional amp. Im just getting my money back instead.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Speaker For Sail