Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Value of Car with Aftermarket Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Value of Car with Aftermarket Stereo

I am on the fences with removing my Monsoon stereo out of the car and installing all aftermarket stuff (HU and speakers). I am worried that it will take away from the originality of the car if I put an aftermarket Head Unit in place. I want to see what other peoples thoughts are on this. Also every speaker but one is blown and I don't have the cartridge for the 12 disc. I just bought this car is why I am asking. Thanks for the input ahead of time!
Old 04-24-2014, 01:31 PM
TECH Addict

unless you have next to no miles on the car or a super rare combination of options it won't effect value for like a few more decades, these cars are still to new to be collector cars, just keep the stock Headunit in a closet somewhere in case a future buyer wants to revert it back to factory, as for the speakers, just replace them no one would expect to keep stock speakers on any car, they are a wear item, that would be like being expected to keep the original serpentine belt on the car or the original tires (not wheels) on the car.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Unless you plan to stick your car in a garage for the next 40 years, it shouldn't affect the value at all.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It wont hurt anything and with some of the install kits out there you dont have to cut or hack anything. If you use them then returning back to stock is a breeze with no visible or hidden butchering.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed - probably won't hurt the value, but if you are concerned, run new speaker wiring and keep the OE wiring intact. Pull the OE components and put them in a box. Always can revert back to stock that way.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unlock your oem stereo before you remove power to it and store it for 10 years.
otherwise it's pretty much useless when you go to reuse it, and it says "LOC" and you don't know the code.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:55 AM

Thanks everyone for the input. I plan on keeping the head unit for sure and thanks for the tip 1 FMF

Quick Reply: Value of Car with Aftermarket Stereo