Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Feedback from Kee Audio Packages

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 10:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Feedback from Kee Audio Packages

Hello guys. First, I know I may be able to spend 54 hours searching old posts, but I want to get updated and faster feedback.

My stock monsoon speakers are pretty much blown and I'm looking to replace them in the near future.

I'm not an audio guy, I am just looking for a good sounding system, nothing too over the top.

My future goals are for a new HU (double din, probably Nav) and MAYBE a stealth box with a single 10. Nothing more.

What are personal experiences with the Kee packages? Is the level 3 worth the extra cash?

Is the level 2 the way to go?

I know I could call them up, but I want to get unbiased feedback first.

Thanks
Old 05-02-2014, 06:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ian knows his stuff, and he's designed systems that work very well in our cars. I only had the 3-speaker Bose system in my car so I can't comment on his Monsoon replacement systems, but he did put together a 10" sub & amp package for me and I'm very happy with it. I didn't want over-the-top either, and I have a pretty well-rounded system now.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

He works very hard and listens to his customer's wants/needs and will get you the right package. I have his bazooka's in the sail panels and LOVE them. I may have not installed them well since a lot of bass causes them to hit the plastic panel. I have Pioneer tweeter's JB welded into the door (where stock tweeters go) and some speakers where the stock speakers go with the stock HU & amp and absolutely love the stereo. I also have Dynomat in the doors, sail panels, and the entire hatch. #quiet
Old 05-02-2014, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

lol I have the exact system op is describing. HU w/NAV, Kee Audio Level 3, 10" stealth sub.

Speakers are great. Can't comment on level 2 vs level 3 but there was a nice quality upgrade. I'd call him to see which package is good for you.

Originally Posted by idle
I may have not installed them well since a lot of bass causes them to hit the plastic panel.
I got the same issue. But I don't think it's the speaker actually hitting the trim piece but the bass is causing it to shake because it's hardly secured. I tried once playing it loud where it rattles then just lightly pushing the piece toward the speaker and the rattling stopped. I'll probably have to stuff the area between the plastic an body with foam to make it stop.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:28 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by M4N14C
I got the same issue. But I don't think it's the speaker actually hitting the trim piece but the bass is causing it to shake because it's hardly secured. I tried once playing it loud where it rattles then just lightly pushing the piece toward the speaker and the rattling stopped. I'll probably have to stuff the area between the plastic an body with foam to make it stop.
Do you have the Sail Panel fix done? GM issued a fix (it just involves adding a single strategically placed screw) to correct the panel pulling away from the door molding. I would expect that it will also cure any vibration you have in the panel around the speaker. (Mine is rock solid.)

The details on the fix/TSB are in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...rior-trim.html
Old 05-02-2014, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 2002 ss is stock and i replaced the speakers last year with the kee premium (level 2).
i think that's the way to go, the price of that over the base speaker package is insignificant. i went with the premium over the base package anticipating putting a new head unit in, but once i got the speakers in everything is great so i'm sticking with the oem head unit. how well the level 2 over the level 1 is or how good the level 3 is i don't know. but all the speakers from kee fit no problem and worked with the oem setup, the only hassle i had was having to install the tweeters which were separate, into the speakers that are for the front doors. had to unscrew a cover from the speaker which was plastic and not easy to grab and thought i was going to break it, but once i got that off everything else was cake.
also consider putting some sound deadener type stuff on the panels behind the speakers since you're that far in. i used stuff from raamaudio, their bxt ii and their ensolite foam.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by wssix99
Do you have the Sail Panel fix done? GM issued a fix (it just involves adding a single strategically placed screw) to correct the panel pulling away from the door molding. I would expect that it will also cure any vibration you have in the panel around the speaker. (Mine is rock solid.)

The details on the fix/TSB are in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...rior-trim.html
Yep that looks like it would fix it. I'll do it today after school, will post results.

Thanks for the link
Old 05-02-2014, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wssix99

Thanks for posting this link! My sail panel started separating and it's drives me nuts.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Default pulled the pin on Level 3

emailed Ian and he was kind enough to help me make the decision to purchase the Level 3 package. I'll post up my results next week. I can't wait to hear my music again without being it being annoying.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with a level 3 package myself. Stock HU and amp. I'm not a audio guy either but I just took my time and I'm happy with the results.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:31 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the level two package. I was really surprised with the amount of bass from such a small sub. I had to turn the bass WAY down due to the rattles from the plastic panels. I'm going to put in sound deadener soon, I just haven't found the time. I'm also thinking about mounting the tweeters where the ABS plate is behind the side mirrors. I'm 6'1 and my left knee often rest right in front of the tweeter and blocks a lot of the sound. 6LE sells some plates for that.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:47 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ian's great! Works really hard at putting together the best performing packages for you...
Old 05-13-2014, 10:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I too had looked for a while into upgrading my blown Monsoon speakers but always procastinated.. I finally picked up the level 1 a month or so ago but just installed them this past weekend. My door speakers were beat so going to the new speakers made a night and day difference on my car! I'm vey happy with the quality and sound. And can't say enough about Ian. I emailed him prior to my purchase looking for some help on deciding which package would work for me and he went above and beyond answering and helping...it was a no brainer for me at that point who to buy from!
Old 05-13-2014, 12:20 PM
On The Tree

I went with the lowest priced speakers. I am very happy with the decision. I was going to try and be really cheap and piece together some speakers and am glad I went with Kee audio.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Default follow up with my Level 3 purchase

I have finished installing all the speakers and am pleased. The support from Ian was great and I would recommend him every time someone asks.
First I had blown wing speakers and was using a friends set of box speakers. It only took two or three days to get everything and I installed the wing and hatch speakers first. My thinking was I would run the stock fronts until they blew out, right. Well the back ones sounded so good I was turning up the volume a lot. So, the front lasted 1.5 days. I think it actually started to rip the first night, but by the second day I couldn't listen to music at all anymore. I followed the instructions from Kee Audios' web site and installed them just like he said. It was tight getting the CDTs to fit but they did suck right down just like he promised. He knows what he is talking about and has the experience. So, it hurts to turn the volume up all the way. So, I don't do that...but I do like the sound and its plenty loud enough for everyone around to hear what I'm listening to.

I am now interested in just a little more heart pounding punch in the chest, which means I need to add a woofer. I just don't/can't spend another $369 on the stereo now. If anyone has a inexpensive alternative I could try or suggestion, please post up. PM me, I don't want to hijack this thread.

Quick Reply: Feedback from Kee Audio Packages