Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Hey guys, aftermarket stereo problems with speakers cutting out.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Hey guys, aftermarket stereo problems with speakers cutting out.

Alright, i replaced the old monsoon system around 8 years ago. I have an alpine 9856 HU with some mb quartz front components with a pillar tweeters and crossovers. For the past year i would get some fuzzy static while the music was playing like interference and then it would clear up. Seems like vibration from cutout and the crappy roads here would bring it on at times. Fast forward to this year taking it out of storage and the speakers completely cut out now at times, both speakers up front. Then they play fine without cutting out even going over bumps. I can't figure it out. Anything i should look for in particular? I have a 4 channel amp and 2 channels power the front components and the other 2 power the sub in the hatch area. I turned the internal amp off in the Head unit, so maybe its an amp issue?

Thanks guys!
Old 06-22-2014, 08:45 AM
TECH Regular

I'd look at the amp first. I had a similar problem and it turns out that one of the channels on my amp was on its way out til it finally gave up completely. Is it all speakers or just some that are affected?
Old 06-22-2014, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Avaric3
I'd look at the amp first. I had a similar problem and it turns out that one of the channels on my amp was on its way out til it finally gave up completely. Is it all speakers or just some that are affected?
Well i only have the front components powered right now. The hatch speakers i have to replace as they are blown and the sail panels are new aftermarket replacements, but until i fix the hatch speakers i turned off the internal amp of the Head unit so only the fronts are working right now.
Old 06-26-2014, 04:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, well i took a look and the amp isn't cutting out or in protected mode, but then again the speakers weren't cutting out as the car was just sitting. I did play with the amp and the head unit and noticed something odd. The components are powered by a 4 channel amp(2 channels for them and 2 for the sub). They sound good when the head unit internal amp is off, but when i turn the internal amp on they sound much lower like the dedicated amp is off and it is just the head unit. I thought the head unit and external amp would power the speakers at the same time no?? Does one take precedent over the other?

Quick Reply: Hey guys, aftermarket stereo problems with speakers cutting out.