Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Any easy fix for terrible door speaker sound (no mids)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 03:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any easy fix for terrible door speaker sound (no mids)?

Maybe it's an inherent design flaw in the doors, but i just can't get good mids out of them, particularly midbass. I have the midrange boosted by 2dB (aftermarket head unit), and it's still anemic, with virtually no midbass. I have tried several different sets of speakers, my most recent set being a pair of Alpine SWE coaxials modified to use the stock, separate mid/tweeter wiring. On my various camaro's I have tried everything from modeling clay filling all the gaps around the plastic speaker mount, to rope caulk/closed-cell weatherstripping. Does anyone on the forum make wood door inserts to replace the air-leak prone factory speaker mount? Would they even make a difference?

I have the monsoon system, but I've noticed the same problem in a 96 Z28, and I remember even back in the day when I had my almost new 94 Z28 (/w horrid bose system), it was the same way. A friend has an LS1 T/A with factory components/door panel pods, and the difference is night and day. I was thinking about swapping a set of T/A door panels, but I've read about it being a PITA, and I don't believe the color will match exactly. I thought about Q-Forms, but that looks like too much work to sacrifice so much leg room.

When the mids on a factory set of 5 1/4's in a freaking Toyota Yaris, or Chevy Sonic (delivery cars driven for work) sound amazing compared to the 6.5's in my camaro, something is seriously wrong

Any suggestions that won't require a carpentry or engineering degree to accomplish?
Old 06-28-2014, 09:39 AM
Teching In

this might be redneck but it might work if you can get the right tupper ware get the round tupper ware bowl and self tap it around the speaker to make an enclosure on the inside of the door panel
Old 06-28-2014, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

are you sure you don't have a high pass filters enabled on the headunit, this could contribute to your issue.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:51 PM
TECH Regular

Are your doors sound deadened? Do you have a high pass filter set? (As mentioned by danielrichards). Also, coaxial speakers in general aren't goin to give solid midbass. Also are you on the factory amp or aftermarket?

Quick Reply: Any easy fix for terrible door speaker sound (no mids)?