Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Building fiberglass stealth box for 10" sub

Old 06-29-2014, 09:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Building fiberglass stealth box for 10" sub

After realizing my stock 6.5" subs were blown to oblivion, I was faced with 2 decisions. Replace them with 2 more 6.5s, that most likely would suck just as bad, and if they had any increase in performance, would probably still be bad compared to even the weakest singe 8" in a box, while costing way more...So my other option (which I obviously choose or this thread wouldn't exist) was to build a stealth box, with an 8" or 10" so after some research I decided on the soundqubed HDS210 (link here>http://www.soundqubed.com/HDS210_p_219.html)
mostly because it is cheaper than the 8" and just as good if not better, most likely the latter. But the main problem I faced was getting enough air for it in a wood stealth box, so I decided fiberglass would give the best fit, and most amount of interior volume to get a great sound out of a 10". I will update this as I go, and will post the final cost of everything and any other info AFTER I am finished, so you can know exactly how much material I used, and what it will cost.
Old 06-29-2014, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

Being a painter, I had plenty of tape. I would recommend 3M scotch blue, or good masking tape. Don't use frog tape, it sucks. Blue tape is the best out of the 2 recommended though.

first layer
Building fiberglass stealth box for 10" sub-1qe0msi.jpg
Old 06-29-2014, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Building fiberglass stealth box for 10" sub-qumvxgy.jpg
1st layer
Attachment 725132
2nd layer
Building fiberglass stealth box for 10" sub-yxt3xqv.jpg
3rd
Building fiberglass stealth box for 10" sub-f0yapvh.jpg
Old 06-29-2014, 11:40 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never heard of that brand of audio equipment but the Sub looks like its well built. I like the paper cone, those sound great. I look forward to seeing some progress pics
Old 06-30-2014, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camaroboricua
Never heard of that brand of audio equipment but the Sub looks like its well built. I like the paper cone, those sound great. I look forward to seeing some progress pics
Yeah soundqubed isn't a big brand but they make some really good subs and amazing amps.
Old 06-30-2014, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

First layer. had to stop because of rain.
Building fiberglass stealth box for 10" sub-xp6bnie.jpg
Old 06-30-2014, 08:57 PM
12 Second Club

Im going to have to look into it a little more then. :-)
Old 07-01-2014, 01:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking good. How many layers you planning? What's the enclosure specs for that sub you listed? Looks like a nice sub.

I built one for the spare tire area. Mine houses a Kicker CompVR10 DVC. Specs out to 1.6 cu ft. It's a sealed enclosure. I built my walls to over 1/4" thick. I spent about $200 on supplies; Resin, Fiberglass, bondo, fleece, sand paper, primer, paint, wood, wires, terminal housing, etc.

You may want to adjust your garage door to stop with it cracked a couple inches for a few days after you're done. LOL.

Here's my boy showing me a thing or two.

Old 07-01-2014, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hrcslam
Looking good. How many layers you planning? What's the enclosure specs for that sub you listed? Looks like a nice sub.

I built one for the spare tire area. Mine houses a Kicker CompVR10 DVC. Specs out to 1.6 cu ft. It's a sealed enclosure. I built my walls to over 1/4" thick. I spent about $200 on supplies; Resin, Fiberglass, bondo, fleece, sand paper, primer, paint, wood, wires, terminal housing, etc.

You may want to adjust your garage door to stop with it cracked a couple inches for a few days after you're done. LOL.

Here's my boy showing me a thing or two.

I am probably going to do 7 layers. have 2.5 done, didn't get to finish because it was pouring again but it isn't a big deal. Don't know the enclosure specs, will have to find them out. Yeah it is a pretty nice sub, my cousin has either 2 of these or 2 higher model 10"s, and they are ridiculous; ear shattering! How does your sub sound in that enclosure? (better than stock no doubt...)

Last edited by Mildphil; 07-01-2014 at 08:26 PM. Reason: wanted to add more info
Old 07-01-2014, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Finished 2 more layers today but no pics because my car was outside (garage needed to be used) and it is pouring raining, but hopefully tomorrow I can put another layer or 2 on and post pics then. Im planning on taking it out after about 4 layers, maybe 3 idk, seems really sturdy at 3 but some spots are weak so I may just throw on another layer.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mildphil
I am probably going to do 7 layers. have 2.5 done, didn't get to finish because it was pouring again but it isn't a big deal. Don't know the enclosure specs, will have to find them out. Yeah it is a pretty nice sub, my cousin has either 2 of these or 2 higher model 10"s, and they are ridiculous; ear shattering! How does your sub sound in that enclosure? (better than stock no doubt...)
Sounds real good, way better than stock. My Suburban had a $6K stereo in it at the time (since been stolen, ugh!). So I was really hoping for more, LOL. That stereo I had in the Suburban would shake your hair from 10 ft away and be absolutely crystal clear, you could hear the Highs, Mids, and Bass in perfect clarity from 300 yards away. Loved that stereo. Oh well, life goes on I guess.

Reason I'm asking for the enclosure specs is because it's hard to find a 10" sub that works in a 1.6 cu ft sealed enclosure; it's big enough to be ported. Most want ported at that volume. But I like the sound of a sealed box better.

7 layers should be pretty good. You gonna use felt for any of those layers? I used 2 layers of fiber for the base shape, then built the speaker housing from MDF, then wrapped it in fleece, resin, fleece, resin, then bondo, smooth then paint.

Came out stronger than I thought it would.

Finished 2 more layers today but no pics because my car was outside (garage needed to be used) and it is pouring raining, but hopefully tomorrow I can put another layer or 2 on and post pics then. Im planning on taking it out after about 4 layers, maybe 3 idk, seems really sturdy at 3 but some spots are weak so I may just throw on another layer.
Better to be safe than sorry. You tweak that shape a little with it out of the car through finish and it wont sit right. I'd go so far to say mock up the speaker face before you pull it out.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hrcslam
Sounds real good, way better than stock. My Suburban had a $6K stereo in it at the time (since been stolen, ugh!). So I was really hoping for more, LOL. That stereo I had in the Suburban would shake your hair from 10 ft away and be absolutely crystal clear, you could hear the Highs, Mids, and Bass in perfect clarity from 300 yards away. Loved that stereo. Oh well, life goes on I guess.

Reason I'm asking for the enclosure specs is because it's hard to find a 10" sub that works in a 1.6 cu ft sealed enclosure; it's big enough to be ported. Most want ported at that volume. But I like the sound of a sealed box better.

7 layers should be pretty good. You gonna use felt for any of those layers? I used 2 layers of fiber for the base shape, then built the speaker housing from MDF, then wrapped it in fleece, resin, fleece, resin, then bondo, smooth then paint.

Came out stronger than I thought it would.

Better to be safe than sorry. You tweak that shape a little with it out of the car through finish and it wont sit right. I'd go so far to say mock up the speaker face before you pull it out.
I think it will run fine in 1.6 cu ft, found a list from the manufacture for recommended box sizes for each sub (http://www.soundqubed.com/Box-Sizes-...ng-_ep_68.html) And I don't plan on using fleece, just the 7 layers and a mdf face plate. Im pretty sure It will hold up fine. At 3 layers it is pretty strong, so im sure 4 more layers will do the trick. Now all I need is more mat and resin.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

Here are various pictures I took, mostly of 2-3 layers, but you can see the over all shape and progress I am making
Building fiberglass stealth box for 10" sub-2qiucpw.jpg
Building fiberglass stealth box for 10" sub-znq5jbr.jpg
Building fiberglass stealth box for 10" sub-e2rngqe.jpg
Building fiberglass stealth box for 10" sub-hmxkyuh.jpg
Old 07-02-2014, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

I think it will run fine in 1.6 cu ft, found a list from the manufacture for recommended box sizes for each sub (http://www.soundqubed.com/Box-Sizes-...ng-_ep_68.html) And I don't plan on using fleece, just the 7 layers and a mdf face plate. Im pretty sure It will hold up fine. At 3 layers it is pretty strong, so im sure 4 more layers will do the trick. Now all I need is more mat and resin.
Thanks for the info. Looking good. I went with all that cause I thought it was going to be weaker. It's not. It's plenty strong LOL. 7 layers will do it for sure. Just curious.
Old 07-14-2014, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ttt just want to know if u finished ur install
Old 07-14-2014, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CaliboyTA
ttt just want to know if u finished ur install
I'm still working on it. I have 5 layers done but still need to do more work to it. Haven't had the time to upload more pics or do too much because I have been busy with work.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh thats cool. that sub u going to get looks pretty nice. U know how many cuft is the box. this is very similar to what im going to do
Old 07-18-2014, 06:58 PM
11 Second Club

Subscribed! I will be making a stealth box for my passenger side to match my drivers side in a few weeks here in school. I was going to do MDF, but now I think I'll use a combination of MDF and fiberglass.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1HIGHLIFE
Subscribed! I will be making a stealth box for my passenger side to match my drivers side in a few weeks here in school. I was going to do MDF, but now I think I'll use a combination of MDF and fiberglass.
Yeah that is the best way. I will be working on it again soon, I have just been real busy with work because the rain has slowed me down so now I am playing catch up. But all my layers are done, and now I just need to make the top part.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:51 PM
Teching In

looks good so far. I've always had the best luck making the top part out of cardboard, tape, hot glue, and fiberglassing over that, then removing the cardboard, etc... when done. Then just attach an mdf wood face to the front with some strips of fiberglass and resin.

.. couple pointers for anyone else reading this and thinking of building one...

1. remove the carpet form the cubby whole first, lets you build the enclosure just a little bit bigger.

2. try to do as many layers at once as possible, as opposed to doing a few, letting it dry, doing more, etc ... reason is the bond will be much stronger since the resin is not trying to adhere to an already hard surface, which can introduce small air pockets and bubbles depending on how smooth the prior layers came out.

3. Use a stitched biaxial (chop mat and woven fabric stitched together), you get the quick buildup and conformability of chop mat, with the superior strength or cloth. I use this, cut it into 2" wide strips, overlaying strips 50% on top of each other. Using this method, I can build a sub box for these cars in 4 or 5 layers that is strong enough to be used as a jack-stand under the car (I actually proved this with a picture years ago on this site.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Building fiberglass stealth box for 10" sub