Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

5 volts to brakes constantly???

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5 volts to brakes constantly???

Havin problems with my sequential install. It's an 02 SS with LT1 tail lights. I need a converter to combine the turn and brakes into a combo system.

Tested the brake wire and it's getting 5 volts at all times, is it supposed to? Gets 12 volts when brake is pressed.

We're thinking that 5 volts is making the converter act up lighting both filaments in the bulb and causing havoc. Anyone? Thanks
Old 09-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

There should be no power to the brake lights unless the brake pedal is depressed. The brake light switch is a simple on/off (open/closed) switch with no computer involvement or any other fancy electronics. The orange wire at they switch carries constant (battery) power and the light blue wire carries the current to the lights when the pedal is pressed.

Test at the brake switch that you have full battery voltage on the orange wire and either battery voltage (pedal depressed) or 0 volts (pedal released) on the light blue wire.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
There should be no power to the brake lights unless the brake pedal is depressed. The brake light switch is a simple on/off (open/closed) switch with no computer involvement or any other fancy electronics. The orange wire at they switch carries constant (battery) power and the light blue wire carries the current to the lights when the pedal is pressed. Test at the brake switch that you have full battery voltage on the orange wire and either battery voltage (pedal depressed) or 0 volts (pedal released) on the light blue wire.
Thanks man someone who chimes in. My friend tested the brakes at the pedal said it was reading 0-12volts. We didn't think of the orange wire, we'll have to look into that
For some reason we thought it was reading right then at the pedal and at the tail light harness we are getting 5 volts and couldnt figure out why. Only thing we thought of was back feed or whatnot from the led 3rd brake light. Not the case unplugged the led spoiler light, it read 5 volts still and at the spoilers harness too.
So we are stumped.
The 5 volts is screwing me hard as the converter just doesn't like that extra voltage mixed with the turn signals.
Thanks for the help I suck with electrical but figured this wouldn't be that hard but it is
Old 09-02-2014, 06:18 AM
On The Tree

Whitebird00, how do we troubleshoot this? What am I lookin for? How would the switch read 0-12 volts then at the rear harness be reading 5 volts? Any more insight? Id appreciate it thanks
Old 09-03-2014, 07:36 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

It is not possible to introduce a 5V current into the wire between the brake switch and the trailer adapter (unless some really weird modification has been done). Measure the voltage at the point where the brake wire (light blue) is connected to the trailer adapter. It should be exactly the same as measuring at the switch - battery voltage when the pedal is pressed and 0 volts otherwise. If not, try the same test after disconnecting the wire from the trailer adapter. That will tell you whether there is some feedback voltage from the adapter indicating that either the adapter is defective or it is incorrectly connected.

It would have been much easier to simply connect a wire from the light blue wire at the brake switch to the unused terminal P on the turn signal switch. That would make the Camaro wiring work much like Firebirds where the brakes and turn signals share the same bulbs. You could completely eliminate the trailer adapter.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
It is not possible to introduce a 5V current into the wire between the brake switch and the trailer adapter (unless some really weird modification has been done). Measure the voltage at the point where the brake wire (light blue) is connected to the trailer adapter. It should be exactly the same as measuring at the switch - battery voltage when the pedal is pressed and 0 volts otherwise. If not, try the same test after disconnecting the wire from the trailer adapter. That will tell you whether there is some feedback voltage from the adapter indicating that either the adapter is defective or it is incorrectly connected. It would have been much easier to simply connect a wire from the light blue wire at the brake switch to the unused terminal P on the turn signal switch. That would make the Camaro wiring work much like Firebirds where the brakes and turn signals share the same bulbs. You could completely eliminate the trailer adapter.
Thanks man, yea I just saw that I can use the unused terminal so basically wasted a lot of time, $$$ and headaches with the converter.
Funny thing is we disconnected the the socket with the orange and light blue wire and it was still reading 4.5 volts from the rear harness connection. So something's fishy!
I doubt anything has been modded the car was stock except for a few things. Idk

Quick Reply: 5 volts to brakes constantly???