Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Sail Panel Subs - Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 07:36 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sail Panel Subs - Wiring Question

On the sail panel speakers, there are two sets of wires going to each speaker.

One wire in each set is red and one wire in each set is red with a black stripe.

I'm assuming the wire with the black stripe is the negative - correct?

I'm hoping that's correct because that's the way I just hooked up a set of Bazooka subs this weekend....
Old 09-15-2014, 07:41 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

If you follow the wires a little further back into the harness you will find the wire colors listed in the Monsoon FAQ sticky. The red and black wires are just a pigtail that connects from the speaker to the main harness.

But there is no need to pull them out and check. It really doesn't matter whether you have the positive and negative correct or reversed because speakers are not polarity sensitive. As long as you wired them all the same way, there will be no problem. Problems arise when you connect one speaker one way and the other the opposite way. That causes what is called an "out of phase" condition where the two speakers are reacting opposite to each other on the same signal. It won't cause any physical damage but it will cause the sound waves to cancel each other out and sound terrible.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
If you follow the wires a little further back into the harness you will find the wire colors listed in the Monsoon FAQ sticky. The red and black wires are just a pigtail that connects from the speaker to the main harness.

But there is no need to pull them out and check. It really doesn't matter whether you have the positive and negative correct or reversed because speakers are not polarity sensitive. As long as you wired them all the same way, there will be no problem. Problems arise when you connect one speaker one way and the other the opposite way. That causes what is called an "out of phase" condition where the two speakers are reacting opposite to each other on the same signal. It won't cause any physical damage but it will cause the sound waves to cancel each other out and sound terrible.
I connected all 4 negative terminals on the speakers using the wire with the black stripe in each of the pigtails. I would think based on that explanation I would be ok...

Quick Reply: Sail Panel Subs - Wiring Question