Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need help with my alarm going off, key fob does not work

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 12:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help with my alarm going off, key fob does not work

I have a 99 WS6. Its pretty much gutted. I've cut the wires and removed the sensitivity control, I'm sure a few sensors, the radio and wires and speakers and wires. I've disabled VATS in the tune and also wired in the correct resistor. I have a key fob but it doesnt work, I'm assuming from all the wires that I've cut. I have my power and starter wires all on switches on a switch panel.

I use a key to unlock the door and manually lock the doors by hand when I exit. My problem is every single time I unlock the door and open it the alarm goes off. I dont have a horn so there is no noise, but all four turn signals still flash and the security light blinks until I flip the switches to turn the power on and back off.

I've read that the door locks and BCM has nothing to do with each other, so that would explain why the alarm goes off every time. But I dont get why the alarm is arming itself every time I lock the doors by hand and close the door. I'll do that then a few seconds later all the turn signals flash once as if the alarm is arming itself.

Anyone know how to stop this?
Old 09-25-2014, 07:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I don't know where you heard that the door locks and BCM weren't related because that is totally wrong. In fact, the BCM controls the power locks. However, it is true that unlocking the doors with the key does not disarm the alarm system. This is by design - it keeps the alarm armed in cases of a door being unlocked by use of a slim jim or other break-in tool.

The alarm can be programmed to arm in several different ways including fully automatic (passive) arming. Unfortunately, if your power lock switch in the driver's door has been disconnected, there really isn't any way to change the programmed arming method. The complete programming procedure is in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...hen-start.html. You probably want to change the Theft Deterrent Arming Method to mode 1 (off) to disable the factory alarm.
Old 09-25-2014, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

Thankfully i still do have power locks. I haven't gutted the car completely, had to keep power windows and center consol, that would drive me crazy. Thanks for the info, I'll give it a shot
Old 09-25-2014, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

...but now that I'm reading it, I don't have a radio or speakers, so hearing the chimes isn't going to happen. Maybe if I press enough buttons it will change something
Old 09-25-2014, 12:50 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

The radio and speakers are not involved in the chimes. The chimes are entirely in the BCM. I've never tried it without an installed radio but I know it works with any aftermarket radio so there is no circuitry in the radio itself. I suspect that there is a connection from the RADIO fuse to the BCM even though I can't find one in the schematics. In any case, I think you should be able to program using those instructions.
Old 09-25-2014, 01:20 PM
11 Second Club

The chime comes from the bcm itself or a speaker? Because ever since I removed the speakers I never got the chime for keys still in the ignition or when I leave the lights on
Old 09-25-2014, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

Just reread your comment. If you're saying I should still be able to do it without hearing the chimes I agree with you. It will just be a guessing game without being able to count the chimes but eventually I should still be able to do it
Old 09-25-2014, 03:17 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Unlike newer GM models, 4th gen f-bodies produce the chimes in the BCM itself with no speaker involvement. Removing the head unit has no effect on chimes so you must have something else disconnected if the chimes aren't working.

Quick Reply: Need help with my alarm going off, key fob does not work